Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Post by Alex DTA »

It's off for it's new cage:

Hopefully back at the end of next week, along with the new perspex windows
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Progress:
onslack
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by onslack »

that's one impressive climbing frame :D
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

onslack wrote:that's one impressive climbing frame :D
Only to look at....wait til you try climbing in and out with a helmet/hans etc lol.....there'll be lots of bad words said !!

I know the cage has to do a job...but they really are hateful to use....or even worse when trying to work inside the car !! Even a contortionist will struggle.

It does look like very nice work though
onslack
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by onslack »

stevieturbo wrote:
onslack wrote:that's one impressive climbing frame :D
Only to look at....wait til you try climbing in and out with a helmet/hans etc lol.....there'll be lots of bad words said !!

I know the cage has to do a job...but they really are hateful to use....or even worse when trying to work inside the car !! Even a contortionist will struggle.

It does look like very nice work though
I know that feeling, I've got a basic 6 point bolt in cage and i already hate it :cry: :? working on inside is a complete pig now, needs must though :lol:
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

It's not too bad getting in and out of, and no worse than the old one, so I'm happy. I need to weigh it again to see what the difference is.

Slow progress, but progress. The cage is now painted, so refitting everything. Wiring is back in and the car runs.

A bit of coil pack bling, plus it fills the gap between the coils and rocker cover:

I need a new windscreen as the original broke when the cage came out. Just waiting for the window guy to get one.
I also have perspex windows to fit. Currently doing the door windows, and will then fit the doors once the windscreen is in.
The window guy will do the rear perspex screen at the same time.
I need to do some work on fitting the rear 3/4 windows, as the car had pop out windows. I've binned the mounts for those, and will just trim these to fit, and then need to secure them somehow.

I have the fittings for the fuel pressure sensor as well, so will also fit that.

I have all day Sunday on it, so hoping to have everything bar the windows done, so I can book a test day as soon as they're in.
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

great thread .and that cage would be no worries to get in and out of .try getting in and out of my bug with the funny cage in it, thats not a graceful exit :lol:
PhillipM
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

My cage is easy to work on inside the car, I just take the side panels off ;)
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Time to bring this up to date.

It looks like a car again, if somewhat dirty (works in the unit created a lot of dust):
The windows are in, if a bit rough and ready, with rivets and some window sealant I bought from the guy who fitted the windscreen.

Plex Knock Monitor installed:
I still need to finish the last bit of the set up, but that has to be done on the dyno, as I need a full run through the RPM range with no knock.
It currently thinks I have knock at idle because I haven't set that up yet.
I've connected both knock sensors, but only using one for now. I can easily change that.

Wiring is also in for the fuel pressure sensor, but I haven't fitted the sensor in to the fuel line yet, as I ran out of time. I just need some hose clips.

Off to Badger5 tomorrow for mapping, although it's supposed to be 30 tomorrow, so not sure how much we'll see. Hopefully we'll have time to fit the fuel pressure sensor.

First race is 18/19 if tomorrow goes well.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

:D

:(

Gearbox flange is loose. Looks like someone didn't tighten the bolt.
The gearbox oil is now all at the bottom of the dyno. As it was doing 150mph just before that without any issues, I'm hoping it happened at the end of the day.