Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Post by Rob Stevens »

S60 doesn't use a rate of change method, it just uses a system like launch but different for each gear and still engine rpm vs undriven wheel speed.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

Yes my bad. S60 compares shaft speed (driven speed) to undriven wheel speed because it lacks inputs, so definately no good for 4wd.

I believe gps would work fine for 4wd if the speed input is square wave, which I believe they can do. Obviously you can only monitor one axle because the gps would be giving the undriven speed.
PhillipM
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

Part of the reason I don't use the TC, doesn't work very well if your undriven wheel is dangling in the air :D
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Given GPS can be affected by bridges, trees etc etc....really not an ideal parameter to be using for TCS

On some of my logs towards the ends of some hillclimbs the foliage has seen GPS speed lower by some 20-30mph than actual speed
That's both Dash GPS info fed to my ecu and as recorded on the VBox.

I'd presume both of those scenarios could cause TCS to activate if GPS speed was considered undriven speed.
Mr Drew
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by Mr Drew »

I would think a doppler sensor reading actual vehicle speed over the ground would be the way to go for TC with AWD.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Carried on today with the wiring. I started at the front and worked back.

Removed the bumper to make access easier, and the lights as well. I then started unplugging stuff that was not engine related. It all went quite well. The light/non-engine-stuff looms were quite modular, and I was able to remove them fairly easily.

The passenger side loom is wrapped to the engine loom just behind the battery, so that was as far back as the will go. However, there's nothing else keeping that in the engine bay. This includes the fan wiring, horn and lights.

The drivers side loom has lights, washer motor, coolant level and a few others. However, they're all going, so were disconnected, This meant the loom was free all the way to the bulkhead. There is one cable connected to this loom that goes down behind the brake servo, and then joins with what appears to be the lambda wiring coming up from under the car. Apart from this, there is just one earth in the scuttle, so I removed that as well.
At this point, the car looked like this:

I then realised I'd not started the car at all since removing all of this. However, none of this was on the engine, so that should be OK, right?
Er, no. It won't start, just turns over. ****

Start plugging random stuff back in, but nothing. Eventually the battery started going flat. Last thing I put on was the earth, but by now the battery was nearly flat, and that seemed to have no impact.
Dragged a running car on to the drive, hooked up the jump leads, and she started straight away. Hmmmm.
Unplug stuff again, all fine. Last thing to try is the earth wire. Yup, that's it.

Audi, in their infinite wisdom, have an earth on the lighting/accessories loom that stops the engine starting if it's removed. :x :x

With that resolved, I carried on. The fusebox and relay holders are now undone as well, most of the wiring on the steering column has been unplugged, and that's as far as I can go now, and keep the car driveable.

I'll speak to the wiring guy this week, and see when he wants the car. I'll go over there, and spend a couple of hours pulling the loom out. He can then fit the new one at his leisure.

I also ordered a manifold from Bill at Badger5. It's back from coating:

Cams are there, turbo is on order, and rods/pistons etc are there. I also picked up the 2L crank recently. The head is being cleaned and skimmed, so the build should start soon.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Alex DTA wrote:
Audi, in their infinite wisdom, have an earth on the lighting/accessories loom that stops the engine starting if it's removed. :x :x
Many years ago a friends Saab stopped running and wouldnt start. Days were spent pulling things apart, testing etc etc etc.

A fucking broken radio was the problem.

With all the stupid electrical items of the car being integrated and CAN and all that nonsense, because the CAN stream was broken or some silliness like that it wouldnt let the engine start.

And the radio couldnt be communicated with or reset because it was broken, making it very difficult to code in a new radio as the old one couldnt be divorced from the system !

Of course unplugging it did let the car start and run normally.

Why manufactures do such silly things is beyond any sane person
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Gearbox has arrived:

SQS dogbox with custom ratios. Flat shift will be set up during mapping.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Bill has the turbo and manifold:

Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

I've been crazily busy at work, and also been busy at the weekends, so I've not done much over the last couple of weeks. However, the interior loom has arrived today.

Interior loom:

Current weight, 1.7kg. I still need to add in the wheel speed sensor wiring, and the throttle pedal wiring. I suspect that won't make a noticeable difference.

Steering wheel buttons and paddles:

Total weight, 0.54kg. I need to connect the paddle switches to the loom still.

Switch panel with breakers instead of fuses:
Weight, 1kg.

That should be quite a saving over the OEM loom and dashboard.

I'm aiming to get the current loom out of the car on Sunday, so I can remove the bits I still need from it.