Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Post by Alex DTA »

The engine is built, I'm just waiting for Bill to have space for the car. I think that's next week.
I've been working on the wiring, and the paddle shift system. That's all working now. Here's a short video of calibrating the shifters, and then shifting up and down a bit.

[youtube][/youtube]

Still a bit more to do:
  • Alternator exciter wire
  • Brake lights
  • Fuel Level Sender
  • Wheel Speed Sensors. I have a Siemens converter to test.
  • More tidying with spiral binding, and cable tie bases.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Looks great Alex!
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

So what is that MNE screen? You better not be using some other gear shift system!!!!!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote:So what is that MNE screen? You better not be using some other gear shift system!!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/mmemotorsport/?fref=ts
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ah I see, I thought Alex had bought a new gearbox and it was sequential.

I have a mate with an evo that has a device that converts a H gearbox to a sequential with an external mechanical device. Presenting the driver with the classic push / pull gear leaver. Alex could have used one of those and kept the DTA gear box controller.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Rob Stevens wrote:Ah I see, I thought Alex had bought a new gearbox and it was sequential.

I have a mate with an evo that has a device that converts a H gearbox to a sequential with an external mechanical device. Presenting the driver with the classic push / pull gear leaver. Alex could have used one of those and kept the DTA gear box controller.
I couldn't find anything else. Got any details?

I could have used an SQS shifter, but I wanted paddles.

The DTA S100 still controls everything except the outputs to the pneumatic valves on this. Paddles go to the S100, which will do the shift cut, timeout control, etc, etc, and sends the shift signal to the GCU.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

he's referring to a sequential shifter, eg

https://www.nengun.com/ikeya-formula/sequential-shifter

Obviously not a universal thing, and defo wont be as fast as your pneumatic system.

And a slightly more crude DIY project but shows it well. Pity he didnt tidy it up and bring it to market, he'd have sold loads !

Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yes I was thinking of that SQS but with added air cylinder to bring it all under DTA control.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Rob Stevens wrote:Yes I was thinking of that SQS but with added air cylinder to bring it all under DTA control.
Gotcha. No time for thinking and manufacturing right now, so out the box solutions required. As above though, I've pretty much ended up with that. :)
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Massively overdue update.

I was supposed to drop the car off at Bill's a few weeks ago. The day before I was due to, the trailer output on my car failed. I couldn't get it looked at for over a week, so I lost my slot with Bill.

This gave me some more time to sort the wiring, but I didn't get much time. Between moving premises and doing real work, there wasn't much time. However, I've done all the above tasks as well as got the wipers working, and a few other bits as well.
The only wiring left to do is to tidy the wiring to the compressor and air cylinder, but that can't be done until the shifter unit is mounted, which won't be until Bill does it.
Then it's just a matter of sticking down loads of clips to hold the wire in place.

Wheel studs fitted as well, and I checked the 17" wheels fit over the brakes.

On the trailer ready to go tomorrow:

Parts that have accumulated:
KW suspension, solid suspension mounts, shorter driveshaft for the quattro gearbox.

The car knows it's going for some serious work. The alternator stopped working this afternoon, it sprung a fuel leak from the feed to the 044 pump, and when I moved it, there were a couple of drops of oil and coolant on the floor.
I can't wait for it to be running.