Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Audi A3 Hill Climb car

Post by Alex DTA »

More wiring progress. I decided not to wait until I'd tested the loom to shrink the wires, as it was becoming unmanageable.
Not much to show for it, but lots of bits ticked off.

I've decided to mount the ECUs to the bulkhead to leave more space for a passenger seat.

The only bits left I have to do to start the engine are:
  • crank plug on engine wiring loom
  • throttle pedal wires to main loom (already connected outputs to ECU/STC)
  • 12v feed to engine loom
  • Fit battery, then fit main feed wires to loom/starter/alternator
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

ECUs mounted:

Internal wiring all laid out.

I'm just waiting on the battery wires, then should be able to start it up.

Paddle shift system has shipped as well.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

One of these shift setups work ?

https://www.facebook.com/mmemotorsport/
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

That's the one I have. The latest pictures on there are of mine.
It arrived this week, it's lying in a box while I finish the wiring. I've made progress there too, will update later.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Haha, cool.

It's definitely a cool solution. Id thought about similar myself...just wouldnt have a clue how to make it all work !
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

It runs!! Very roughly, but it runs. The fuelling is horrendously far out, but it runs.

I lost a week due to a stinking virus, but all the bits I needed arrived.
I connected the last few bits up, and started testing. Instantly had a good crank signal, but no cam signal, so the ECU wouldn't synch. Turned off sequential ignition and injection, and it synched straight away. However, there was no spark or fuel.
I then turned my attention to the STC, and had a problem with the pedal sensor values.
It turned out I'd made two small mistakes on the wiring, so fixed those, and everything started working. However, the car wouldn't start.
However, it was just because the fuelling is so far out. It eventually chugged to life. It won't rev, and pops and bangs, but I haven't touched the map, it's just a random 1.8t map I had lying around.

I'll tidy some of the wiring up during the week, and make a list of the wiring that still needs doing. This includes the cam sensor, all the paddle shift connections, and fitting the rest of the chassis loom, such as the wheel speed sensors, brake lights, and more.
I'll also find out from Bill when the engine will be ready, and when I can take the car over.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Totally off topic...but a friend has recently been knock for six by some virus ( and docs have no clue what )...another guy on the V8Forum just mentioned he has been floored by something recently too...now you.

Must be some mad shit going around at the minute !!
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

There's some crazy stuff going around. I averaged 11 hours of sleep a night for a week, and still slept at the weekend during the day.
My wife had something similair a couple of weeks before me. Just mad.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Well, that's been a frustrating week. After it ran last weekend, it completely refused to start again. As it ran, it obviously had fuel and spark, and was synching properly.
I worked back through everything, checking all the wiring, checking it was still synching, getting spark, and fuel. This took most of the week as I only had time to look in the evenings.
Everything seemed fine.
Logic eventually dictated not enough spark, or not enough fuel. Seeing as I'd had sparks arcing half an inch from the plug to the rocker cover, it had to be fuel.
On Thursday, I pulled off the fuel rail, stuck the injectors in plastic bottles, and ran the injectors. Immediately it was obvious something wasn't right. Injector 1 would flow a bit, and the amount of fuel would decrease across the rail. 4 would hardly flow anything. Stopping and starting would have a different injector with fuel.
Only possible conclusion is the 10 litres of fuel I put in the tank when parking it up was gone. I grabbed a couple jerry cans, and headed to the petrol station.
Halfway there, I realised what the problem was. I'd forgotten to connect the lift pump! No idea how it ran the first time, and having some fuel just mislead me.
I had the pinouts ready for last night. Wired it up, and it still wouldn't start. However, the pump was working, and I remember that the map I had in (different from before) was for 1000cc injectors. I changed the injector opening time, and it fired up straight away.
I may have danced a little jig.

So a week later, I can now start tidying the wiring in the car, and sorting out the paddle shift system wiring.

Before the car goes to Bill, I need to work out why I have no cam sensor signal, and also wire up the fans.

There's loads more that needs to be done, wheel sensors, brake lights, etc, but the engine can go in and be mapped now.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

lol, a friends car a few months back...we were out tuning after he had been racing the day before. Every now and then the car would trip the fuel pressure trip...which seemed odd.

Gradually it got worse and worse and we were WTF, to the point the car stopped. He was thinking a fuel pump had died or all sorts of things ( 2 pumps ).

So towed it home, car onto ramp, you could hear both pumps running, albeit loudly and quite warm.

So undo the outlet from the tank....and genuinely not a single bloody drop came out.

Bloomin numpty hadnt put fuel in it and even months later still hasnt got a sender for the tank to make the gauge work !

he too was overjoyed when everything was ok lol