S60 on Motostudent bike wins the 2018 world championship

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
FOXX
ECU Model: S60 Pro

S60 on Motostudent bike wins the 2018 world championship

Post by FOXX »

Hello guys, I'm a mechanical engineering student in Politecnico di Milano, in 2018 we build a racebike to compete at the university world championship "Motostudent", a student race at Aragon motogp track involving universities from all over the world.
The bikes are Moto3-like (250 4t), and we build everything: the chassis,aerodinamics,deep engine study for intake and exhaust and cooling system , all the electronics, we use a S60 ecu.
At the end, as regards the dynamic tests, we made 1st place in race (8 laps), best acceleration, best top speed (197.1km/h at the speed trap, 202 km/h gps at the end of the straight) and we won the whole Motostudent competition.
Concerning the ecu, we are very happy of the reliability, user-friendliness and performance.
Now some pics of the bike!

You can also visit our facebook page and site, just typing our team name "POLIMI MOTORCYCLE FACTORY".

Bye!
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: S60 on Motostudent bike wins the 2018 world championship

Post by Rob Stevens »

Congratulations !
And not a single DTA sticker on the bike :(
FOXX

Post by FOXX »

Rob Stevens wrote:Congratulations !
And not a single DTA sticker on the bike :(
I know, I argued a lot with the paint designers for this :|
SMR
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

Excellent achievement - well done. I guess you're running individual coil-on-plugs with wasted spark? (I'm not familiar with the S60 - can you run sequential injection on it with a cam sensor?).
How have you done the crank trigger? Still uising the standard crank sensor?
What does it rev to?

Cheers for the info.
Oh, and you need to get some DTA stickers on it for next season!

Steve
FOXX

Post by FOXX »

SMR wrote:Excellent achievement - well done. I guess you're running individual coil-on-plugs with wasted spark? (I'm not familiar with the S60 - can you run sequential injection on it with a cam sensor?).
How have you done the crank trigger? Still uising the standard crank sensor?
What does it rev to?

Cheers for the info.
Oh, and you need to get some DTA stickers on it for next season!

Steve
Thank you Steve!
Yes we have cop from a KTM LC8, unfortunately we can't fit a cam sensor so we are running in wasted spark(with really no problems). Last year I noticed that during cranking the crank speed decrease a lot during compression (obvious :lol: ), I asked Alex if it is possible to phase with the flywheel cranking speed only...
A sequential injection might help us, we inject from up the intake trumpet and also we have a barrel throttle body made by us. But in the end we never run below 9000rpm so is not so important.
The bike reaches the max hp at 10000rpm and stays constant from 10k to 13k and more.
In the race we run with the limiter set at 11650 to not blow up the engine conn rod bolts (gear change light at 11400, we reach limiter only in 6 gear in the straight at 206 km/h calculated).
We use the stock crank sensor (obviously with screened twisted pair) and the stock trigger wheel (36-2 teeth on the flywheel). Worked very well without any problem.

Cheers!
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

I'm sure you could find a way to install a cam sensor if you have built a complete bike, I'm sure with development you could find a little power and make it a bit sharper.
SMR
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

Cheers for info Foxx. Just realised it's a big single! - but with two injectors, one high and one low? I was thinking small 4 cylinder hence my question on sequencial, but I guess timing the squirts differently may well improve combustion.

As rob says, if you've built all of this, fitting a cam sensor should be fairly straighforward for you!

Cool project and successful to boot - well done.
FOXX

Post by FOXX »

Rob Stevens wrote:I'm sure you could find a way to install a cam sensor if you have built a complete bike, I'm sure with development you could find a little power and make it a bit sharper.
Yes we perfectly know how to. But we can't due the competition regulations! Might be a good encourage to develop new phasing Solutions without cam sensor :D
FOXX

Post by FOXX »

SMR wrote:Cheers for info Foxx. Just realised it's a big single! - but with two injectors, one high and one low? I was thinking small 4 cylinder hence my question on sequencial, but I guess timing the squirts differently may well improve combustion.

As rob says, if you've built all of this, fitting a cam sensor should be fairly straighforward for you!

Cool project and successful to boot - well done.
Competition regulations allows only one injector, we decide to Mount it on the trumpet because of the better fuel mixing. Also cools down the air entering in the Engine
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ah I see, so the rules prohibit what exactly regarding cam sensing? I'm thinking mounting a cam sensor (as a crank sensor) only and fool the ecu