Sidecar racer

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
kew
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Sidecar racer

Post by kew »

in the air.jpg
This is our Ireson Honda CBR600RR that we use for the Isle of Man TT because the TT is restricted to 600cc engines.

We have just finished building an Ireson Suzuki GSXR1000 that we used for the first time last weekend at Chimay in Belgium, we qualified 2nd fastest but we had some small problems that stopped us in both races.

We have booked time on a rolling road next wednesday to hopefully sort out the problem. At about 9000 to 10000 rpm it felt as if the rev limiter was coming on but if I closed the throttle and opened it slowly it would rev right through to 12500rpm. The programme I have doesn't have a blend map for the 2nd injectors, they switch on at 9500 rpm, I'm hoping this is the problem and we can sort it on the rolling road.

The Suzuki engine is standard (so far)
Akrapovic exhaust system
DTA S80 ECU
Dry sump system
AIM lambda controller
Bosch electric water pump with controller (thermostat taken out)

I will let you know how it goes on the rolling road and load some photos next week.
From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse
The going up is worth the coming down.
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: Sidecar racer

Post by Jon K »

Oh man I couldn't imagine being the guy on the side. Don't they like, shift positions and balance the car the whole time? Scary stuff!

You must share some power figures! Any videos would be amazing.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Something wrong with swingers. Seen those guys get seriously close over curbs and stuff, scary.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
kew

Post by kew »

Well I got it onto the rolling road and the fuel mapping that I had in was quite close but a bit on the rich side.
On the first run we held the throttle to the stop and it spluttered and coughed at 9500rpm which is where the change from bottom to top injectors was taking place. I changed to a blend and it ran perfectly on the next run.
We leaned off the fuel overall by about 5% whilst taking into account the ram air effect and we got 165bhp.
I've entered 2 race meetings over the bank holiday weekend and with a bit of fine tuning of the fuelling by using the corrections map and a bit of playing with the ignition advance I may get a bit more.
ignitionautosport wrote:Something wrong with swingers. Seen those guys get seriously close over curbs and stuff, scary.
I don't know about scary, here he is resting!!
I don't know about scary, here he is resting!!
razzor

Post by razzor »

simply WOW !!!
Releeuw45
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 63

Post by Releeuw45 »

Hi,
Which type/year engine are you running? Dit you get the CAM sensor working or are you running in batch mode.

We probably have (almost) the same K5/6 engine and I would like to see your fuel numbers up to 3500 rpm. If you're willing to share of course.
Mine runs in batch because I can't get the cam sensor to work. it is on top of the gap from the crank sensor. Tried mask settings but I get cam errors.

Thanks.
Releeuw45
GSXR 1000 DTA S60 Track addict
kew

Post by kew »

Hello,

We are running a K8 engine but I think they are basically the same.

We had a problem when we tried to start the engine but then we found that we had the cam sensor connected as a magnetic sensor when in fact it is a hall effect sensor. We reconnected as a hall effect and it ran perfectly.

I will be at Assen this month and you can take a look at the program there if you want.

cheers
Keith
kew

Post by kew »

I just looked at the wiring for the K6 and the K8

the K6 cam sensor is 2 wire which I think is magnetic
the K8 is 3 wire which is hall effect.