Another can dash display

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
troy
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Another can dash display

Post by troy »

Last few days I have been working on a can dash display. Similar to tim's as it uses a teensy 3.2 and can transceiver to pull data from the DTA over canbus.

At the moment I am just displaying data on to a 20 x 4 LCD. These displays aren't anything flash but have a few advantages.

They are cheap $5-$10
Easy to read in direct sunlight
Fast update rate
Easy to implement "pages" that can either change based on time or external buttons.

At the moment the goal was just a easy and cheap way to keep an eye on temperatures and pressures in my drift car without the need for extra analog gauges etc.

The 20x4 LCD is really just a test and I might try use a 4dsystems display similar to what tim has used at a later date. I also have a small OLED display here that could be suitable as a small display that I might try.

Looking at adding extra features, possibly GPS, sdcard logging, accelerometers, any thoughts from you guys what you would like to see or would use?

And of course here is the code so you can use or build your own. Im no expert at programming but it is functional. All parameters from the DTA that are broadcast over canbus are decoded and bought into easily usable variables to do whatever you like with.

Attachments
dta_can_receive.rar
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: Another can dash display

Post by katana »

I envy people that understand this stuff! I can glue components together no problem but understanding how they work together or getting them to work together blows my mind!
troy

Post by troy »

I quickly connected up a small 1" OLED display to see what it would be like. The photo shows it a bit blurry as it is quite bright, but it is very readable. Nothing flash but you could easily display 2 or 3 parameters, and easily have more on "pages". I think these could be a good option for building a small display that sits in the AC vent or something like that.

I have a 4D systems superbright 5 inch colour display here that I will start work on shortly. Also working on a hardware interface and code so it will work with standard BMW ECU over DS2 protocol.
Cpur
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by Cpur »

Hi All,

Good day, I got interested in this project quite long time ago. have been on and off it for quite some time.

I am not good at programming but i managed to do quite some stuff with perseverance and a lot of reading learning bits from here and there.

I am trying the code that Troy sent, I am also assuming this is for Arduino, But I cannot get timer.h sorted. I downloaded the timer.h library file from Github https://github.com/brunocalou/Timer.git .

But the #include <timer.h> never changes to orange that shows that the library i kind of accepted.

In #include <FlexCAN.h> The writing (FlexCAN) changes to orange when the lib file is in the library.

Please Help...

Thanks and regards
Warren Malta
troy

Post by troy »

Probably different version of library. I'll look to see if I still have a copy of the project. I did get the 4d systems display working too