65 beetle turbo

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
fast65

65 beetle turbo

Post by fast65 »

hi here is a quick reveiw of my car ive been working on for the last two year ive post few pics on here but thought i would start a thread here spec so far some of the pictures are a little out of date and a few things ahve changed

1965 java green,2332 T1,superflow heads,JPM cam,Pauter cylinders,Borg warner twin scrol turbo, custom header,custom charge cooler,DTA S60 efi,electric cooling,G50 gearbox with custom flywheel and 4 puck racing disc and quaife diff,narrowed IRS rear end,Gears brakes all round,red9 front end,custom fuel tank swirl pot and meth injection tank 8 second cage being fitting at the moment im hoping to have done for april this year as its been a long time coming a few pics so far,

fast65

Re: 65 beetle turbo

Post by fast65 »

Big mile stone tonight powered it all up and all reading and working fine I even got the CanBus to work on the dash2

I've just got to configure the dash2 to read what I want it to and get down to sorting out a start map for the S60

NOS controller

Pulseoids

transducers for fuel and NOS pressure

soild state relays for the fuel pump so they cant fail on :)

fast65

Post by fast65 »

bit more mechanical work done today :)

so thts about it so far

cheers andy
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

big project !!!

What sort of size are the relays ?
fast65

Post by fast65 »

hi they are about 50mm x 30mm rated at 10amp they may need to chnge as the twin 044s draw 13amp

cheers andy
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

fast65 wrote:hi they are about 50mm x 30mm rated at 10amp they may need to chnge as the twin 044s draw 13amp

cheers andy
What sort of fuel pressure do you intend to use ?

And I would not be using individual relays for each pump. If one relay fails, chances are your engine will fail.

IMO use one fuse, and one relay.

I tested my 044's a while back, and at around 45-50psi base pressure, the current draw was around 22amps
When I squeezed up the return to create around 80-90psi current draw went up to around 27-28A
That's with a good solid 14v supply. If you have less voltage, current could be higher.
fast65

Post by fast65 »

I see what your saying Im running two pumps if one was to fail, one pump should just be enough. I may change to one rally for all three pumps

Cheers andy
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If one pump is enough to supply fuel for the engine and you want to use 2 relays etc, make sure there is a check valve after each pump so the fuel can only go one way. To the engine. If one fails, the other will still operate as normal.

But I would still use one fuse/one relay if possible for the actual pumps that directly supply the engine.

If you have a 3rd lift pump, I wouldnt be so worried about keeping that on the same supply. If it fails the engine will run until it runs out of fuel. Cant see it causing any harm easily.
fast65

Post by fast65 »

Car is booked in for the cage to be tagged in the new year the charge cooler has now been modded for ice to go straight in :) so that should keep the temps down

also as ive added the dash2 ive found that race technology do an in car camera syetem that put the data from the ECU on the video so you can see were your mistakes are and what the cars doing after a run

its mostly for circuit cars but i think it will be good for drag use as you have such a sort amount of time to see whats going on

cheers andy
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

That's actually pretty cool. Would be nice to see the video with proper engine info at the side.

Not sure how more useful than proper logging, but definitely a nice feature