1 series BMW tarmac rally car, 3 litre S50B30, DTA S80

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: 1 series BMW tarmac rally car, 3 litre S50B30, DTA S80

Post by stevieturbo »

Jon K wrote:Guys what do the tractive boxes go for and how much torque can they hold?
Pretty sure you're talking well into 4 figures, if not 5.

And That's UK£

And generally they are fitted to rally cars, maybe 300bhp or a little more and have very short close ratios.

Not ideally suited to a powerful turbo road going engine.

But superb in areas where they are used.
Basil

Post by Basil »

The five speed that I use has a higher torque capacity than the six speed. Tractive were talking of making available a very high torque box for the likes of V10 Vipers and big turbo RWD cars. I am putting 450 fy=t lbs through it and when I stripped it after 12 hours of track usage it was literally like new. tractive were very confident it would handle more, they have them behind dome real torquey beasts. My car being two wheel drive, with no real downforce, and modest wheel and tyre sizes obviously helps, but it has really good LSD and no gearbox cooler. Price wise, with Tractive doing the bellhousing converter plate it was about £8500 UK. They have remarkably strong resale values. If anyone's interested there's a thread on it at:

http://www.skyline-owners-club.com/foru ... gts-t.html
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

chrisrally wrote: Who do you know who can map the ECU when it is all together and has experience of the M3 engine ?

Chris,

That E36 looks superb, when do you recon on having it finished? I'm planning on having mine completed by the end of the year now, ready for competition next year.

I would recommend Wayne Schoffield of "ChipWizards" in Rochday as he has a great understanding of DTA engine management systems and also knows the BMW M3 engine inside out. He's a very highly rated mapper.

Cheers,

Martin
chrisrally

Post by chrisrally »

Thanks Martin.

I would like it to make noise this year, and probably aim to be out March next year, depending on what events are on. I may take it to a track first to find out what we forgot to fasten properly. :roll:

I was navvying for a friend last weekend and there were 3 BMWs out. An E30 M3, although it doesn't sound like one, a compact and another that I didn't see. Seems like there are getting more of us.

I'm jealous of your gearbox. I spoke with a chap in Poland who rallies an E36 3.2 M3 and he said he had never been out of 4th gear. I once spoke with Elite Transmissions in Stoke, met them at a show. They were very confident of handling the M3 power, and had a bell housing to suit, and their price was very competitive (although I can't remember what it was now). Never heard much of them in Motorsport world though.

If anyone is so interested I have posted the stripping and rebuilding of the M3 at www.m3rally.co.uk. There are lots of photos and descriptions of what we have done right and wrong.

Anyway, just got to have my ECU delivered now and I can make some noise. :)

Chris
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

it must be about time for an update on this thread!

I finally got the car running and on the road back in June this year, the engine lasted about 50 miles as the oil pump failed during testing, also the engine had started making a strange clacking noise during mapping.

I removed the engine and in a panic to get the car back on the road and completed ready for its 1st rally at Anglesey in July I bought another engine from a BMW breaker on ebay. It was a completely unknown quantity but once fitted seemed to run OK although it was obvious that it was a little tired as it breathed quite heavily from the cam cover.

We went and did the rally but the engine gave up on the penultimate stage, overheated and sounded dreadful, also during the event the oil pressure went "infinate", ie more than 10 bar! When I took it apart the relief valve was stuck firmly closed, hence the massive oil pressure. The pistons were rattling about in the bores.

So, over the last 3 months I've been busy rebuilding the oiginal engine, this time with a set of JE 11.5:1 pistons, steel rods and the 3.2 head with its bigger valves and lighter EVO cam followers. This time I decided to de-vanos the engine since I doubted getting much benefit from the vanos with my 6 speed close ratio gearbox and relatively short overall gearing, it seems that the engine never goes below 4K ! I fitted a brand new evo oil pump after the previous two failures.

Anyway the new engine is now re-installed and up and running and now booked in with Wayne at Chip Wizards next tuesday for a mapping session.

The next event is a stage rally at Oulton park race circuit on 10th November, hopefully it will be reliable and powerful!

Martin
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Sad to hear about the mishaps Martin but it sounds like you're back on the road!
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Yes, mapping now postponed to Thursday due to work commitments! New 19 row oil cooler getting installed this weekend plus a few other little jobs ready for mapping.

Martin
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Hey Martin - any updates?
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Sorry, I forgot to update this thread!

another year down the line, loads to tell since last updated this thread but for now new colour scheme nearly done!

Next event is at Oulton Park circuit 23rd November 2013

Martin
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

We need more!