C2 GT Turbo...

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
SeniorGT

C2 GT Turbo...

Post by SeniorGT »

Hi guys, thought id finally stick a build thread on here, been meaning to do it for ages but been too busy with getting the car done, lol.

Ive had the c2 for a good few years now and its been a bit of en evolution from how it was first planned due to the almost total lack of aftermarket support for tuning beyond mild cams and a remap (within the limits of the standard ecu )

This is how it first ended up, with a set of newman ph3 cams, supporting minor breathing mods, and a flash remap of the standard ecu.

This saw it to 150 bhp from the stock 110, suffice to say i was happy with it for about a month then wanted more, but was at the average limit of what could be done on the standard ecu, and with no-one dealing with the c2 with regards to proper tuning i decided i was going to do it myself, so got myself a secondhand DTA p8 pro, Had a loom made, and fitted it to the car, along with a saxo cable throttle body and modified C2 VTS inlet to take the new throttle body, and a set of Astra Gsi 330cc injectors.

I set about the task of learning the ins and outs of mapping on the dta, bought some Det cans and a LM-2, and mapped the car, got it running fairly well within a day or two but it took me a good month or so to get it bang on all through the map including all the compensations, but was pretty happy whn it made 163bhp when it when on the rollers, not much of an improvement granted but it was now a good setup for my future plans.

The car ran like this for knocking on a year, and it gathered a few bits here and there as i needed them, Upgraded the brakes to a set of 4-pot porsch calipers on 306 gti-6 discs, Fitted an ATB diff, New engine mount kit,Change of wheels and headlights, ect

The main build started at the beggining of my christmas break from work 2011, got the car into the garage and started the job of ripping out the old engine and putting in a freshly built forged low comp engine, and fitting the turbo, i planned on making as much as possible myself, and to have the car back on the road within a month, didnt quite work out like that, lol, but managed to make my final deadline of the Fast show at Santa pod at the end of march.

Anyways, ill just get on with pictures.....

Bin....

Front panel diet....

Replacement for the TD04 i was going to use, a IHI vf30.....

Manifold build....

Replaced the two bolt gate i was going to use with the new smaller Vband model :)

Mocked up the new radiator and intercooler
SeniorGT

Re: C2 GT Turbo...

Post by SeniorGT »

This is where i decided id built an engine which was going to be too much for the standard box, as the MA box on the tu5 1.6 engines have a habit of imploding when they have over 200lbs of torque put through them, so the only way to go was a BE gearbox conversion, all well and good if it were a sxo or 106, but the c2 has no parts available through tuning companies to do the conversion, so back to making stuff to fit it i went.....

The Box itself phisically fits, but needed a new baseplate for the gearbox mount cutting to lift it 12mm so it would sit level in the car..

Also had to modify the driveshaft carrier to take a pair of shafts id found ( from the citroen/peugeot parts dept :) )to fit the new box and my drive flanges on the hub.....

And an adapter to properly mesh the starter motor...

Then i started on the engine build, it had already been built a few months previous, but i decided to start again to make sure all was ok before it went in....

Last edited by SeniorGT on Fri May 11, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

Painted the engine bay since citroen were too tight to do it from the factory..

Started on stripping back the origional engine loom to the bare essenstials...

New engine in....

And started on the rest of the steelwork...

Oh and also change from a sxo throttle body to a shaftless 60mm ATpower one, does away with the horrid cutout for the ICV too...
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

Missed quite a few bits out but i cant find half the pictures i took now anyways, lol....

this is how the car was whn nearly finished...

After a coulpe of fireup niggles it was ready to be run in, 500 miles later it was ready for a low boost map, so we took it out on the road and set to it, pretty quickly found that even at only 1bar it properly shifted, and that i would need a much bigger set of injectors as the Gsi 330's at 3.5 bar were well and truly maxed out. So ordered a set of seimens 630cc's. Got them in and went out again, only for the dta to blow the injector drivers :(

A friend had this problem not too long ago on an s40, one of the early ones too that shares the injector drivers with the old p8, so swapped the pins on the ecu end to use output 5&6, which worked well for two weeks, then they went too.
So sent the p8 off to DTA for 4 new drivers fitting so i could sell it, and bought an s60, sooooo glad i did to as the logging and live mapping is in a different world. Surprising how much difference being able to edit and save from the real time screen makes :P
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

Anyways..... by the time the s60 was fitted and the loom repinned it was the day before The fast Show at Santa Pod, which was a must attend event for me, so the car went out friday afternoon to get the base map sorted, and it got finished off on the drive down to santa pod and its first few runs.

All in all it was a good shakedown weekend for the car, and it managed a 13.7 @ 114, even with the problems i was having with launches all weekend, had nowhere near enough grip from the parada2's that are on it, and an open diff doesnt help.

Couple of videos of two decent runs....

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

And a quick one of the saxo turbo weve also done, this is on totally standard internals, stock compression with a td04 turbo at 1bar of boost on an s40, made 277bhp at the flywheel on the dyno :)

[youtube][/youtube]
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Nice little project, and some very nice work too !

Traction on any sort of road tyre is always going to be an issue. Even 888's etc Ive found arent that much better even at Santa Pod.

That said, Ive found that some of the hillclimb type race tyres are road legal, can be very soft and work very well
The likes of the Dunlop CR311 super soft, and they are E marked and road legal ! Not that I'd want to be driving too far on them.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Do you have any more pictures of the modifications you made to the inlet to suit the Saxo throttle body?

I am in the process of fitting the C2 VTS inlet to my supercharged 16v Rallye but i'm having trouble making up an adapter plate. It doesn't help that I am using Bosch sized injectors which leave limited space for the throttle cable in it's normal position.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

this side of the world dunlop softs are as good as it gets. Nothing else compares - however nothing else compares in price also.... I run R888's on my hillclimb car, however I doubt would get sticky enough for drag.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

stevieturbo wrote:Nice little project, and some very nice work too !

Traction on any sort of road tyre is always going to be an issue. Even 888's etc Ive found arent that much better even at Santa Pod.

That said, Ive found that some of the hillclimb type race tyres are road legal, can be very soft and work very well
The likes of the Dunlop CR311 super soft, and they are E marked and road legal ! Not that I'd want to be driving too far on them.
Thanks stevie, yeah like you say, wasnt expecting much from the parada's, but didnt sort any alternatives before it went, ive since been looking at a set of MT ET street radials, although im a bit stuck as far as sizes go, as my 4 pot calipers mean i have to run 16" wheels minimum, and the only 16" 108 pcd steel wheels i can find come from a 06> berlingo van, cant seem to find a set for love nor money :( And cant justify buying another pair of the same wheels i have just for fitting drag tyres.

Ponk wrote:Do you have any more pictures of the modifications you made to the inlet to suit the Saxo throttle body?

I am in the process of fitting the C2 VTS inlet to my supercharged 16v Rallye but i'm having trouble making up an adapter plate. It doesn't help that I am using Bosch sized injectors which leave limited space for the throttle cable in it's normal position.
Hi bud, ive got a pattern for the adapter plate if you want me to get one knocked up at the engineers. It bolts directly to the c2 manifold, then the Throttle body to that, with the TB rotated to move the throttle cable lower down.
Only image i can find thats a half decent close up from when i was mocking up the dta fit.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Cheers dude, that pic helps a lot.

How much would you want for one? I've got a C2 VTS fuel rail on it's way to me at the moment (hadn't realised the normal JP4 rail was different and my TU5J4 rail won't fit) to see what space is left once the rail is fitted. Problem is the Bosch sized injectors I am using are a fair bit longer than the standard injectors.