Lotus Elise with T series Turbo S80 project 450bhp/tonne

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
DJWilma
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Lotus Elise with T series Turbo S80 project 450bhp/tonne

Post by DJWilma »

New on here, so be gentle, but thought you may appreciate this

I have a build thread on seloc but thought you guys would appreciate this
Car is a CAT C 111S 47k miles that i bought with 95% of all the bits needed to get back on the road
It was crashed in France, aquaplained onto a crash barrier taking the fron crash box clean off and damage to both clamshells but no chassis damage

The original plan was to build a 350bhp k series engine, i used to have a 1.4 k in my rover 100 that was 292.8bhp and 250lbft but it was relatively laggy. The 1.8 is a fantatsic engine but once above 350bhp it starts getting issues mainly the liners and also very expensive cost was about £8k to do this properly
Roverdose who built my 1.4 also builds t series and a couple of conversions have been done but these were to std 200bhp ish.
I am not a fan of the honda conversion, although quick, i dont want to be worrying about the driveshafts. And the audi just looks plainly complicated for an idiot like me
So Roverdose mentioned the T series, a little bit of digging and i found a forged engine (std crank is good for 500bhp) for good money that was running 350bhp. Took it for a spin in a 620TI and money swapped hands !

The engine had a huge GT3076 and custom exhaust that i sold with the DTA E48 ecu for half the cost
Elise then had the 160vvc engine removed with the G6 box and engine loom and sold for the same price as the rest of the forged T series

The i called Grant at ww.GB-ent.co.uk who is a T series guru and procurer of all custom bits you could require. Gizzmo boost controller, davis craig electric pump, re-circ dump valve, wide band controller. T series flange

I also had a custom manifold made for the k series turbo i was building, this can be tweeked to suit the T series and will be good for 500bhp

T series engine is now sat in the engine bay, the gearbox is the same PG1 but is an uprated turbo version with a type B torsen ATB C6 ratio

Sits a little close to the original engine mount but should be able to do a mount to suit

Plenty of room for a nice turbo !

Speaking of nice turbo i purchased this again from GB Enterprises a GTX2867, chosen as it should spool the same, marginally slower, than a GT2860RS but will blow enough air for over 450bhp ie same as a 76mm turbo. It is also a lot more efficient so will provide cooler air

Purchased a DTA S80, few reasons why, it has traction control / launch control that works, has a decent boost control rpm and boost related, and its easy to build into a multiscreen dash if required.

Engine mount, used the existing 620 turbo mount and modded to suit the std elise one
Will see how this gets on as the std mount is not known for its torque holding capability but the vibratechnics ones are

Bottom steady mount

Manifold and turbo fitted, little close but nothing a bit of heat shield wont help

Thats about it so far, exhaust, loom and dta still need to be fitted and then car needs mapping aiming for 350bhp hoping for 400bhp at the flywheel and all this including the car will cost less than the Audi conversion ;)
Last edited by DJWilma on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Re: Lotus Elise with T series Turbo S80 project 450bhp/tonne

Post by VR6Turbo »

Nice! That is going to fly when it's finished :D
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Always ways to do things cheaper !! Looks like it should be fun.

Definitely right going with the S80 though. In the overall scheme of things, an extra few quid at the start, gives you a lot more features and they are worth it.
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

Yeah i looked at the S80 as it had all the features i needed

It can run the electric water pump, boost modulation, additional cooling fans in the engine bay.

But also has the traction control and launch control which i will definitely need for the road.

I have a Gizzmo though so may use that for the boost modulation, actuator pressure is set at 12psi but need to go to 30psi for the 400bhp.

Couple of bits turned up today

Gaz Gold Pro from junks thank you sir
3" 200 cell cat rated to 400bhp
Vibratechnics engine mounts for k series but using the motorsport harder compound for the engine

Oil cooler is next problem the 620 oil pump doesn't have any tappings for the cooler and they are in the wrong place so looks likely to be a remote filter with cooler attached

Got a couple of extra naca ducts and bought a 4 inch inline fan to circulate air when stationary or higher temps

Also got a turbo blanket as it was cheap
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

3 inch down pipe was made yesterday nice tight fit but it's in

Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

looking good, i really do like the S2 elise and with a pro built ;) T turbo fitted, amazing!.

Drew
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

Roverdose wrote:looking good, i really do like the S2 elise and with a pro built ;) T turbo fitted, amazing!.

Drew
I don't know where I got the idea from

All I need is an s dash.....or some other multi screen dash rather than lots of dials
VR6Turbo

Post by VR6Turbo »

Is that 3" 200 cell cat from Jetex? I need something like that myself.
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

VR6Turbo wrote:Is that 3" 200 cell cat from Jetex? I need something like that myself.
No its a magnaflow one from eBay, £98 delivered

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110806135426? ... 1497.l2649

Cheap but i know they run 350bhp and has gone through 2 mots with it

All i need is something to get me through the MOT, i will be removed for Track days ;)
VR6Turbo

Post by VR6Turbo »

Good stuff, thanks for that!

Interested in your 1.4 300hp turbo too :D I kind of inherited my Dad's Rover 25 1.4 (as in, take this and do something with it son, it's blocking my drive) and thought about spicing it up a bit!