Ford ST170 setup...

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
drbailey

Ford ST170 setup...

Post by drbailey »

Well I am a fan of the S60 however had a few issues setting up... I was recommended a tuner although 2-3 hours away however the car was setup using their own lambda sensor with sequential disabled and closed loop lambda turned off... The cam control is setup but the control has not been tuned to track the target cam advance... I have found out that the base map in the software that was used to setup my car has a cam sensor angle of 228 which it would seem is not the std at rest cam sensor angle... The cam position went negative which is clearly not possible from rest hence the 228 was wrong... So I am struggling to find someone on the south coast to set the car up correctly.. I have sent DTA an email but no response :( . At the moment I am running the car and using the lambda correction map function to trim the fuel but it is slow although running is improving. I guess next if I can't find a tuner is to try and setup the PID to get the cam control working correctly myself. The original setup showed that the tuner I was recommended did not know the software well enough.. Idle PWM was left enabled but I don't have an idle valve....the car popped on overrun which I have fixed pretty much by using the cut fuel on 0 throttle position.... I am running throttle bodies a bit large at 48's but they were available at the right time and exhaust could do with being better... At some point I do need to port the inlet manifold because I think it is from a std zetec and the port heights are different but it runs... Does anyone have a map for an ST they would share so that I can compare my setup with to see what elase isn't right...

Thanks
Dave B
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Re: Ford ST170 setup...

Post by Roverdose »

thats not a great start for you, who was the tuner?
where are you based?

Drew
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

It would be worth phoning DTA, at least then you'll get a prompt response.

It is disappointing, but quite common everywhere. I can understand the cam control ( if variable ) being difficult to setup, but there is little excuse for getting basic tuning setup wrong.

Surely the base map DTA supply for the ST170 should be a decent starting point, if nothing else as far as the cam setup goes ?

And correct cam angle to use for the base cam trigger is indicated on diagnostic screen with the engine running.
drbailey

Post by drbailey »

Thanks guys.. I would prefer not to say who the tuner was.... It is a little unfair to go public with the name. Let's just say I paid about £500 and it took a very long time.... The base map in the DTA library was not setup on a std ST170 I suspect. The cam angle was wrong so I would guess that the engine they used had the vvt removed....
The tuner had the angle wrong and didn't check it... As I say I am not convinced they knew the software well enough... They were recommended by DTA but they moaned about the LC1 which was recommended and supplied by DTA. They didn't want to map using the LC1...

I am in Portsmouth so looking for a local tuner....

Dave B
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

only that id normally recommend Track n road, but moaning about the lc1 and the kind of distance travelled could put them as the tuner you used.

i dont think anyone on here would recommend an lc1.

Drew
drbailey

Post by drbailey »

No comment.....:-) strange that DTA sold it to me as the wide band of choice... However that was 5 years ago... I can't see that this is my issue though....
Dave B
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

LC-1's can be ok....but lets face it, they have more than their fair share of problems too.

When they work they are usually ok though.

And I'm sure you didnt hold them at gunpoint asking them to map with the LC-1. They could very easily use whatever wideband kit they have, so that's a silly comment of them to make.

Was there not a recent thread and some terrible setup which I think was that same place ?

Havent a clue who you might call down that part of the world.
drbailey

Post by drbailey »

I am really struggling... Almost worth getting a trailer for a couple of days and going somewhere to get it done.... It is possible that some of my build is not quite right....

Dave B
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Give Martin ( mefmotorsport ) a shout. He's bound to know someone you could go to.
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

Depends what you call the south coast, head to Cornwall and Sandy Brown is a very good mapper who does prefer DTA over most systems and gets very good results.