clio 197 on s60

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: clio 197 on s60

Post by stevieturbo »

It'll need a better explanation of the problem.

So the engine has run, or it has not ? What are you trying to do with the coils ?

Cant control the cam in what way ? And what do you mean it is reading the camshaft ?

How are you trying to control it, and how is it supposed to be controlled ?
swsupermoto
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: mosley rolling road
Firmware Version: 66

Post by swsupermoto »

The engine runs and have done several rallies but makes less bhp on the dta than the std ecu. I wired the coils on there own but the tuner set them up on a waste spark. The tuner just told me the cam wasn't responding to the settings. Not sure on the cam shaft sensor but have read that you need a cam sensor to control individual coils so wondered if that could be the fault.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

And what is he expecting the cam to do ?

You need a cam sensor for coil on plug where each coil is fired individually.

You do not need a cam sensor for coil on plug where they are batch fired though. If wasted spark works, just use them like that, especially if that is the way the coils you are using are intended to be used.
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Two points - you say the COP's are paired 1&2 and 3&4 this would be a very strange combination as the usual pairing is 1&4 and 2&3 to run wasted spark correctly!
Looking at engine spec's the engine has VVT with a 'dephaser' on the inlet cam and with most of these systems if you / your tuner doesn't know how they react / what they need to function CORRECTLY. Like the Zetec ST170, people have found that just applying a voltage doesn't work and requires a fully mapped modulating output to position the cam correctly - the manufacturer has probably spent shed loads of euro's getting this bit right!
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

have a chat to Sandy Brown, he's done some Renault mapping and engines recently with Pure Motorsport, though not sure if he's done a 197 engine, I believe it isnt vastly different to the 17/82
swsupermoto

Post by swsupermoto »

welshpug wrote:have a chat to Sandy Brown, he's done some Renault mapping and engines recently with Pure Motorsport, though not sure if he's done a 197 engine, I believe it isnt vastly different to the 17/82
He doesn't know
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

fair enough, bloody Renaults :lol:
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

A quick internet search reveals that it has a variable cam operated by a pulsed solenoid operated by engine oil pressure. This will need a cam sensor to enable the ecu to track the cam position. I've never done a variable cam but once the engine is running fine I imagine you can just test at idle to ensure that the cam is responding to changes, this assumes that the solenoid needs a pulsed -ve not 12v ? Perhaps this is the problem.
swsupermoto

Post by swsupermoto »

I've just set this up on my Toyota was going to try the Clio the weekend but the guy who had it on the roller has pulled most of the wires for the cam control out but will try it later in the week and post the findings.