Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
lofstrom
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Re: Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post by lofstrom »

Thanks for the input! I used your map and suddenly I get the green label! Attached are the oscilloscope and diagnostic screens. As I don't have any video capture SW on my laptop the only thing I could think of was to film it with the iPhone:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/071ovkpzsrp ... OTIfzrg7a

Hope the link works. As you can hear it sounds like it's attempting to start. That's something. Unfortunately I didn't have time to continue. With two small kids I don't always own my time...

More will follow. Anything I should check before further start attempts?

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
diagnostic 2016-10-09.jpg
oscilloscope 2016-10-09.jpg
lofstrom

Post by lofstrom »

Ok guys. So tonight I did a few more start attempts without result. I get sync but nothing more. My conclusion of this is that I have a problem with either fuel or ignition. If I break down those I can think of the following issues:

FUEL
- No fuel in car (there is fuel)
- Too low fuel pressure (?)
- Injector issues (they worked fine before I rebuild my engine)
- Injectors not compatible with ECU (I use my original BMW S14 ones)
- Wiring issues (brand new wiring loom from ST Motorsport is assumed to be ok)

IGNITION
- Spark plug issues (brand new)
- Spark plug wire issues (Moroso wires which worked fine before I rebuild my engine)
- Coil pack issue (brand new coil pack from ST Motorsport is assumed to be ok but could of course been damaged during shipment. The ECU coil test function seemed ok though)
- Wiring issues (brand new wiring loom from ST Motorsport is assumed to be ok)

Comments to the above? What did I miss? Where do I go from here?

Any help is appriciated!

:?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Has this engine ever run correctly ?

Is it a new build ?

What has changed since it last ran correctly ?

And simple...does it have air ? fuel ? spark ?

And all of these at a time suitable to allow the engine to run ( ie, is ignition timing correct ? )
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

If it's synchronising, the ECU is turning on the outputs.
You've already confirmed the spark output with the test.
Have you tested the injectors in the same way?

If both of those are working, you either have not enough fuel, or fouled plugs.
lofstrom

Post by lofstrom »

I have not tested the injectors yet, it remains to be done. As I understand it there are two ways:

1. Lift of the fuel rail and injectors and Place them in a plastic bottle, then crank engine and look for spray

2. Take out fuel pump relay and then use the injector test function in the DTA SW

Pros and cons of the two alternatives?
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

1 is better, as you can see if all 4 are working as expected. Downside is you're spraying fuel.

2 will allow a small amount of fuel in each cylinder, but not enough to cause any problems. You can't see if all 4 are running.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

1. is always the best test.

it proves ( to an extent ) wiring and pump etc are all working and ecu is trying to inject fuel into the engine and that the injectors actually work
lofstrom

Post by lofstrom »

So, I believe I have found something interesting. I used the coil test function in the DTA SW, and a grounded spark plug, to test my coil pack and ignition wires. The interesting thing is that I got a spark on all four wires, but my strobe lamp only seem to work on two out of four wires. I have put red marks on the two which worked with the strobe, in the image below. Is this an indication that one of the coils is not working, or did I make some mistake? How is it possible that I have spark but no strobe?

BTW, for my understanding, how are the four connectors on the coil pack paired with the two coils? Is it horizontal or vertical, with reference to my image? There are unfortunately no markings or numbers on the coil pack.

Thanks for the advice on the injector testing, this will be the next step after sorting out the ignition.

Can anyone please explain the synchronisation, what does it mean? Does it have anything to do with the injectors or is it just trigger wheel and crank sensor related?
Attachments
2016-10-12 20.17.44 - kopia.jpg
lofstrom

Post by lofstrom »

stevieturbo wrote:Has this engine ever run correctly ?

Is it a new build ?

What has changed since it last ran correctly ?

And simple...does it have air ? fuel ? spark ?

And all of these at a time suitable to allow the engine to run ( ie, is ignition timing correct ? )
The engine has been completely rebuilt and has never run with the DTA ECU before.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Never worry about your strobe light.

If you have good spark at all 4 coils, the coils/wiring can work enough to run an engine.

Verify ignition timing is suitable to allow the engine to start. Verify you have enough fuel to allow the engine to start.

Ensure the engine has enough air to start.

Verify all sensor readings etc are sensible.

Then start engine.