Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post by Rob Stevens »

I've had a look at this map also and none of the sensor calibrations have been done, it may run fine when hot but I can't see how it would ever start from cold?

Also none of the nice features have been turned on, like random cut patterns and even idle control that works great with ignition only.
sprytel

Post by sprytel »

Sorry, haven't logged in for a while....

Honestly, I can't speak much for how complete the map is, as its from 2006 and I hired someone to tune it for me.

What I think could be part of the problem, is that we are all using DTASwin to look at the map. I don't remember what ECU I was using back then, but I'm guessing it wasn't an S series. I wonder what the map will look like using software for whatever the ECUs were back then?

Like any map that isn't yours, take from it what you can, but ultimately you are responsible for what you use to run your engine.
NASA GTS5 #945
GTS5 Midwest Regional Champion '09, '11, '12 & '14
e21-mark
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by e21-mark »

Hi guys, I am looking at swapping the Alpha N set up on my E30 M3 for the DTA S40 Pro and wondered if you could advise a total newbie?

I'm on a very tight budget and will be posting a wanted ad shortly but would you be able to help with a basic map to get me going? My car runs a stock s14/2.3 and carbon fibre air box.

What should my shopping list comprise of, apart from the S40 Pro itself?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

You'll need a crank trigger, throttle position sensor and wiring.
Ideally air temp, coolant temp as a minimum. Manifold pressure, oil pressure/temp and lambda if you want.
e21-mark
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by e21-mark »

Hi Alex and thank you!

I already run a TPS for the Alpha N. Is it best to run as many of the sensors you've listed as possible?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

No problem.

More is better. Air temp and coolant temp I would never run without.

I ran without oil pressure for ages, but found I had oil surge when I connected that up.
Lambda and oil pressure are in the nice to have category. A good map should make lambda redundant, but it's nice to have in case things fail.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

It would be cool to reference MAP @ startup Alex for baro correction. It'd be super duper cool to have a second map input to do constant (or periodic) baro polling for correction. Altitude changes decently here over little distance in SE Pennsylvania.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
lofstrom

Post by lofstrom »

Hi guys,

I have finally found the time to put everything together and make an attempt to start the engine. The problem is now that it refuse to start....

The configuration include:
- S40pro
- 60-2 trigger wheel
- TPS
- Inlet air and water temp sensors
- No ICV
- No distributor
- Wiring loom and coil pack are from ST Motorsport (the wasted spark coil pack look like this: http://www.dtafast.co.uk/dta_products/v ... coil-pack/)

I have used Jeff's map with some minor changes to fit my setup. My map is attached below for reference. Can anyone please have a look and see if I'm doing something stupid here? I'm a total newbie on this :?

Thanks!

/Stefan
Attachments
BMW_S14_stefan.map
(41.36 KiB) Downloaded 1982 times
iceman_n
Firmware Version: 58

Post by iceman_n »

the map you upload has 36-2 trigger you wrote 60-2

297 sensor position degree are correct ? did you try crankshaft oscilloscope ??
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

As above, change the number of teeth to 60 in General Engine settings.
Then take a Crankshaft Oscilloscope (Display and Test Functions -> Crankshaft Oscilloscope).
Post a picture of that here, and we can help further. Ideally use the Print Screen button to capture the entire screen.