Big aircooled Suzuki map

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
skelly
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Re: Big aircooled Suzuki map

Post by skelly »

Righty..
Coils..
My racebikes (1999 GSXR600)use pencil type coils that are capacitive (I think).
They are constantly earthed and fed with a pulsed feed to trigger them.
However, Yamaha R6's use inductive pencil coils, whereby they are feed a constant 12v and the switching is done by earthing the other side which as far as I can work out is how the S40 works (CDI ?)
So convention may suggest that if each one has a primary resistance of around 1 - 1.2 ohms, then a pair wired in series should give a similar primary resistance to the coils that I am already using ?
I have no idea about inductance / capacitance, though so I may be a mile out here but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Nowthen.. Idle control.
I hadnt actually looked into this as I have a handy fast idle lever on my throttle bodies but I thought I would give it a bash,
With no success whatsoever.. lol
So, to put you in the picture, I have one injector per cylinder, one set of butterfly valves that are connected to the throttle cable.
No air bypass valve or any other gubbins.
No matter what values I put into the idle control tables I get no target rpm reading on the idle 14x20 advance map.
Bit stumped with that one to be honest.
Also some of my values in the main idle control box are red and will not turn black.
Weird.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

katana wrote:
Alex DTA wrote:
skelly wrote:I may look into fitting some modern stick coils but not sure which type work best with an S40, any ideas ?
You can't run pencil coils with an S40, it has to be a wasted spark coil pack of some sort.
Why? Can you not place an ignition amp between the COPs and the S40? Something like a Bosch 0 227 100 211 - excuse the pdf from a rival LOL!
Because the coil driver in the ECU is turned on when an amplified coils are off.
This means the driver is charging all the time the amplified coil is off. The S60/80/100 sink this current in the form of heat in to the case.
The S40 doesn't have the aluminium case so the drivers can overheat.

Apart from the risk of blowing coil drivers from overheating, it all works fine.
skelly

Post by skelly »

Ok Point taken Alex.
I will be changing my coils as an experiment as I believe I am getting a strange signal from them which manifests itself by highlighting one of the cells in my start fueling map when I rev the engine, it also makes the current percentage value at the bottom of the screen go from -80 to 50 at the same time, very strange.
Can anyone recommend a pair of twin output motorcycle coils that are proven to work well with an S40 ?

Cheers for all your comments guys, its appreciated.

Skelly.
skelly

Post by skelly »

I have just had a revelation.
Before I sack off these notoriously noisy Dyna coils and associated gubbins, why don't I open the 'test injectors, coils & auxiliaries' function and drive the coils up to max revs while keeping my eye on the start fueling table ?
Brilliant,, sometimes I amaze even myself.
I'll give it a bash tomorrow.
Cheers.
Skelly.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Apologies, forgot to reply to your video.

Repeat the test with the crank scope.
Open the crank scope, click gather, then start the coil test. That will also tell you if the coils are feeding back in to the crank signal. This could be the cause of that strange behaviour
skelly

Post by skelly »

Ok,
I did the coil test with the crank scope gathering, all clean.
So I repeated it while looking at all the maps, tables, everything, again all clean,
I ran the engine again and there it was, then I thought, hold on a mo, its showing a negative fueling value, the only place I could think a negative value would come from is in the throttle transients on over run.
I switched off the transients and the problem went away, switched them on again and there it was.

So all I can gather from this is that the percentage of transient increase or decrease is shown on the fueling percentage on the start fueling map which I must say was quite unexpected.

Maybe this is normal and I am being dim, (it has happened before) but at least I now know what is going on.

Still having no luck whatsoever with idle control though.

Cheers.
Skelly.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

fast log TPS.

Or set throttle transients correctly so they do not operate when they shouldnt.