Help with a base map for Vw Golf 16v Turbo.

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
apow
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 60

Help with a base map for Vw Golf 16v Turbo.

Post by apow »

Howdy peeps,

Need help on a base map for my 16v Turbo golf engine.

I have a map on my ECU but the idealing is terrible and fueling is way out as the smoke from exhuast you can smell the fuel.

What i have is DTA S40 Pro ECU with 440c injectors and no idle or turbo control features swithed on.

The map i believe is a map for a high powered 16vt so i need it so it idle at the lower power band.

Never mapped anything before so any help would be appreciated.

Need it to idle so i can check for any wtaer/oil leaks.

Can supply a copy of the current map if needed.

Thanks
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Help with a base map for Vw Golf 16v Turbo.

Post by Rob Stevens »

I think you need to carefully read the manual, even without the knobs box you can make live changes at idle.
Don't rely on someone sending you a map, you need to understand first if you have a pressure sensor fitted etc.
I don't mean to sound unhelpful but you need to try and help yourself by reading a little first.
apow

Post by apow »

Rob Stevens wrote:I think you need to carefully read the manual, even without the knobs box you can make live changes at idle.
Don't rely on someone sending you a map, you need to understand first if you have a pressure sensor fitted etc.
I don't mean to sound unhelpful but you need to try and help yourself by reading a little first.

Hi rob.
I do understand what you are saying but the manual makes no sence to me as the figures in the tables dont seem to make much sence to myself. I thought someone might help on this forum.

I do have a 3 bar MAP Sensor, Air flow , water temp, n75, diverter valve, LC1 all fitted and ready OK in the software.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

I don't know of any one using an airflow sensor, I think that you should ditch that. Or perhaps confirm just how its configured.
Ok first off please confirm the following.
Is the tps reading ok?
is the map sensor reading ok?
air and water sensors reading ok?
Is the main map set to work as tps or map as load?
if map as load are the pressure compensations zerod?
if tps as load are the pressure compensations set to 'standard'?

The figures in the tables are the fuel pulse width in Ms and in the ignition map they are the spark firing point before top dead centre.

Check the things above first
apow

Post by apow »

Hi Rob,

My mistake i didnt mean airf low i meant air temp sensor. Sorry for confusion.

TPS, MAP, Water and Air are all reading OK.

I believe The main map is set to TPS as the check box for "Use MAP as Load" is no checked.

Assuming the above answer is correct and under the "Manifold/Barometeric Pressure Compasations" settings the values are all set to standard.

Thanks very much for your help.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

OK, just a few other things to check, you will have a fuel pressure regulator, the air connection for this should be connected after the butterflies/intercooler/turbo etc before the head on a plenum or whatever you have, the same for the pressure sensor.
How are your coils configured, do you have single coil on plugs or what?
apow

Post by apow »

Rob Stevens wrote:OK, just a few other things to check, you will have a fuel pressure regulator, the air connection for this should be connected after the butterflies/intercooler/turbo etc before the head on a plenum or whatever you have, the same for the pressure sensor.
How are your coils configured, do you have single coil on plugs or what?
The FPR is connect to the manifold after the TB. Air temp is conneted to the air filter pipe just before it gets to the turbo (could be the issue???)
Pressre sensor connected same place as FPR

Using a single Ford coil pack with 3 pin connection
Pin 1 firing cylinders 1 & 4
Pin 2 is power
Pin 3 firing cylinders 2 & 3

Thanks

Vas
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ok, this all looks fine, except for the air sensor, this needs to be moved to the same sort of place as the pressure sensor.
Connect to the ecu with your pc and go to real time mapping/ main display, make sure you map is unlocked. You will see all the engine data displayed here. You will find 2 adjustment windows, one for fuel in blue and one in red for ignition. Run the engine and try to reduce the fueling by pressing the down arrow thith your curser, do this until you have a stable idle when warm and the lambda display shows 1 or 14/1 A/F depending on how you have this set (don't get too hung up on the reading, just try and get it to idle) to display. If this lambda isn't reacting have a look to find that fault. At this point don't press the return button but just note the % adjustment you used to get a good idle. Now go into essential map settings and make a global change to the fuel map by the same % read the manual on how to do this.
Also make sure that the throttle blade is open a little and that you have set the end points in the engine configuration/throttle stops, again read how to do this.
Best of luck,
apow

Post by apow »

Rob, Thank you very much for this info.....Just what ive been looking for.
Hopefully will try this on the weekend...will report when i have some results.

Thanks you again.

Vas
apow

Post by apow »

Rob,

I gave it try over the weekend and just by adjusting the fuel settings I can get it to idle just fine.

Thanks you very much for your help.

Now just sort out any leaks then of for mapping. Can anybody recommend anybody in the midlands?

Thank
Vas