Hello and introduction

This is a place for anything you feel like sharing - car builds, videos, websites, and any off-topic content in general
Syncro
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Direct
Firmware Version: 73.01

Hello and introduction

Post by Syncro »

Happy new year everyone.

I wanted to introduce myself, I'll be in need of some assistance in the coming months with my latest build.

I'm in the process of building a 20V 2.5L VW/Audi 5-cylinder turbo motor running on an S100. Most bits have been accumulated now so will be building this over the winter. Its fitted in a Golf with Quattro running gear. The S100 may be overkill but I got it second hand cheap so I can use all the extra IO for interesting things such as the rear diff controller.

My background: I've used DTA ECUs for many years, fitting E48s on 1.8T conversions in old Golfs (my first was in 2001) so I know my way around. Electrical side of things I am competent with. Its the programming and initial settings that I may require some guidance on - especially from those that have run 5-cyl Audi motors on S-series.

I won't be mapping it myself though, I'll be sending it to someone who really knows what they are doing for that.
AWD Golf 2.5T
rxboxster
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: Hello and introduction

Post by rxboxster »

Hi. and welcome.

Keep us updated with your build.

are you running a v5 or straight 5?

Cheers
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Gnutz has a 5cyl Quattro powered Golf and it's an awesome car , I'm sure he would be able to advise.
Syncro

Post by Syncro »

Inline 5 :twisted:

I have seen the build history for Gnutz's car before. I think it was on another forum though, there were lots of detailed photos.

However, this engine is transverse not longitudinal. Mounts in exactly the same position as the original 4-pot.

It will be interesting to see if the old Quattro engine basic settings can be used on the later 2.5 version. Hopefully enough to get it firing.

I do know that the firing order is the same but there are differences. This one has full VVT on inlet cam. Coil on plug (which S2 had). Not sure about the crank wheel configuration yet.
AWD Golf 2.5T
gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 »

Hello and welcome, As your aware I converted a mk2 golf to the old 5 cylinder engine with traditional longitudal Quattro which was far from a bolt in job :roll:

Yours sounds an interesting project and not a very common conversion, which model does you engine come from? Also any background on the golf, which model? and did you convert it to haldex? Maybe Alex DTA would be the man to talk to regards the haldex as he's building a 4wd Audi A3 hill climb car .

As far as the new an old 5 cylinder engines go there's virtually nothing similar except the number of cylinders so I cant really offer much help for fire up settings. I see you're looking for a dbw controller already but I can't see any other special considerations this engine needs to get it up and running.

Keep us updated on the progress, any pics? or project threads? Maybe start one :)

And any problems just come to this forum.

Baz.
Syncro

Post by Syncro »

Hey Baz,

I was seriously impressed with your build. I remember stumbling across the forum a few years ago where you posted your updates.

My dream was to build a 2.1 sport quattro replica but the donor cars are now ridiculously expensive and Dialynx stopped doing the conversions ages ago...

So, for me the next best thing is the new generation 5-cyl used in the TT-RS and RS3. Plus I likde doing things differently. Those engines were based on earlier non-turbo ones only found in the US. Its much cheaper to import an engine and rebuild it with forged internals than to buy one over here from a TT. Since they are transverse they will (more or less) drop into Golfs and A3s etc. I got my engine from a Jetta, and it cost $500! I know of a couple of other people in the UK doing the same thing.
Going in mine is a forged crank, rods and ceramic coated pistons. The head flows pretty well in standard form apparently although I might see if I can get some reprofiled cams.

I'm a bit rubbish with taking photos and putting them onto the internet but will have a go at some point!!! The engine is in so now I need to pull it out and strip it all down for the rebuild. The list of things to do is immense, as you know having done it all before yourself.

The only throttle that fits directly on my manifold is the TTRS or V8 one. Theyre all DBW hence I'm on the lookout for an STC. Alternative is to use an adapter plate I guess but it wont look as smart.

My mk2 golf already has the Syncro system which is being ripped out and I'm converting to Haldex. I'm going to build a controller for it which I'm hoping to link to the S100 so that torque split is dependant on road speed and boost pressure. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress of that too. I'm good with engines and electronics but sadly not with internet forums... :-)
AWD Golf 2.5T
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

What sort of signal does the Haldex need ?

There are aftermarket diff controllers on the market that can be programmed a variety of ways based on speed, braking, throttle etc etc MAPDCCD is mainly aimed at Subarus, but has been used on Skylines and other platforms.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Haldex runs on CAN signals, including from the ABS unit and ECU, and the handbrake. I have the details if required.

I'm going to be playing around with this at some point this year, as I want to be able to control the OEM Haldex unit from our ECUs. It shouldn't be hard, I've got half of it done already for the plug and play adapter.
I'm also building a custom Haldex controller from an Arduino. There are a couple out there already, but this is just for my own amusement.
Syncro

Post by Syncro »

Hi Alex,

What's the plug and play adapter for?

When you start to play around with the Haldex it would be great if you could let me know. I would be happy to trial if you need volunteers.

Failing that I'll be building my own circuit, for my own amusement too! :)
AWD Golf 2.5T
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Syncro wrote:Hi Alex,

What's the plug and play adapter for?
Bosch ECUs using the 80 pin and 121 pin connectors. Also used by others.
http://www.dtafast.co.uk/dta_products/8 ... ter-board/
Syncro wrote:When you start to play around with the Haldex it would be great if you could let me know. I would be happy to trial if you need volunteers.

Failing that I'll be building my own circuit, for my own amusement too! :)
Will do, but don't hold your breath.