Tesla Design Failure

This is a place for anything you feel like sharing - car builds, videos, websites, and any off-topic content in general
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Tesla Design Failure

Post by Jon K »

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motor ... feel-gassy

So basically - it's not ready for prime time. Oops!
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Tesla Design Failure

Post by stevieturbo »

This is why it will be many many years before a battery powered car will ever be viable.

Batteries are complete and utter shite and the worst possible and inefficient form of energy for transport ever devised !
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Not true, the car manufacturers have snapped up good designs though in order to keep fossil-fuel dependency up.

Also seems like a design fault of "always-on" systems.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

I gather that this failure is more a fault of the design/type of batteries used. Talking at work today it seems it would make more sense to have the system report that the batteries are at 0% when they're really at 5 - 7% to prevent people from draining in full, but then they would lose valuable "miles per charge". Its a shame - maybe some day, but for now it still seems, as Stevie says, inefficient and worst yet - EXPENSIVE!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

And so environmentally unfriendly lol The irony !
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

stevieturbo wrote:And so environmentally unfriendly lol The irony !
Well that's the background doings - people only think of "Yeah, well it plugs into a wall, how bad could it be?!"

They discount the production of the electricity and the disposal of the toxic batteries.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Exactly. At the moment its a great marketting ploy and thats about all from what I can tell. Total cost over life of vehicle works out better for a fossil fuel car I thought still.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

I feel electric car companies are trying to run before they can walk. NO ONE will ever buy an electric car and consider it a proper alternative to fossil fuel unless it can do 300-400+ miles to a tank, like fossil fuel cars currently can (except our cars obviously, lol), which also only take a couple of minutes to 'refuel', instead of overnight.

They should be starting off with decent hybrids. I.e. Use electric motors for their high torque and refinement, but use a small diesel engine to run an alternator. The amount of fossil fuel required would be less than halved as well as giving people a huge range.

I don't understand why this isn't being done already?
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

VR6Turbo wrote:I feel electric car companies are trying to run before they can walk. NO ONE will ever buy an electric car and consider it a proper alternative to fossil fuel unless it can do 300-400+ miles to a tank, like fossil fuel cars currently can (except our cars obviously, lol), which also only take a couple of minutes to 'refuel', instead of overnight.

They should be starting off with decent hybrids. I.e. Use electric motors for their high torque and refinement, but use a small diesel engine to run an alternator. The amount of fossil fuel required would be less than halved as well as giving people a huge range.

I don't understand why this isn't being done already?
Because its all about the market man. No one wants a diesel generator in their car. They want to be able to say "I run my car on ray beams and unicorn tears... all renewable resources!" As soon as fuel is introduced the electric car loving sheep turn away. It's ignorance, or arrogance - hard to say, but it's one of those!
Roverdose
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

VR6Turbo wrote:NO ONE will ever buy an electric car and consider it a proper alternative to fossil fuel unless it can do 300-400+ miles to a tank
i would, i drive 16 miles to work and back, if they do 90miles to a charge and it costs me the price of a ltr of petrol to do so! 400mpg?! id have that.

Drew