Use Phormula Knock Analyser Pro

This is a place for anything you feel like sharing - car builds, videos, websites, and any off-topic content in general
s40pro
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: XAP
Firmware Version: 63

Use Phormula Knock Analyser Pro

Post by s40pro »

Hello,
I imagine you know about this tool for knock detection, I interested in buy, after search in the net, can you tell me if you used and experiences with this tool or others ?

Also I see the kit build or sold by a ford tunner Wilcox http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/knockkit.htm

Phormula Knock Analyser Pro
http://www.phormula.co.uk/KnockAnalyserPro.aspx

Thanks.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Use Phormula Knock Analyser Pro

Post by stevieturbo »

Ive used the Phormula before, and it does work. I dont see why the other one wont work either.

But then, so does a cheap set of ear defenders and some rubber hose.
s40pro

Post by s40pro »

Thanks Stevie,
I see Wilcox worked a lot of time in engine management, and I don't know if can be better than the phormula, sometimes, we can found in the market tools or other parts well done in the marketing but with china real protieties.... but I think the 2 can work fine, only is better when we can know about the experience using the tools.

If another person used the Wilcox kit or know about we can have the 2 experiences...
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

I use the Link one, probably the only product of theirs I actually like.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
s40pro

Post by s40pro »

Thanks for your posts, I see the Link also.
It looks harder to tune before start to work, mybe also is better .
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

All of them are just amplifiers really. There is always lots of background noise you need to filter out manually anyway.

The Knock Box is supposed to be one of the best, but then it has a big price tag too.

http://www.m-cal.com/Products/MC50-7741 ... -Channel-)

Or just google "DIY Det cans" and see the myriad of results.

I still think that a bit of copper tube, rubber hose and some good ear defenders offer the best setup. But they arent as easy to install, and bulky to wear. Detonation is also quieter, but I also feel the background noise is much less obtrusive. So if your hearing is good and you know what to listen for, it is actually better.

The electronic versions are easier to use on multiple vehicles though

The cheapest of which goes way back to this

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0353
ignitionautosport

s40pro wrote:Thanks for your posts, I see the Link also.
It looks harder to tune before start to work, mybe also is better .
I don't bother, I leave it on broad spectrum and just listen, works fine you just have to be listening - which you are anyway. Tuning the frequency is more critical with feedback to ECU (which DTA can't do anyway) though probably makes it easier to hear knock as well.
A guy a few towns over was using the Phormula one and is now using Link, if thats anything to go by - I personally haven't used the Phormula but looks similar in principle.
Link build quality is junk but it doesn't really get a hard time, comes in a nice case and the noise cancelling headphones work really well. I pulled the Link stickers off mine, best mod yet.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
ignitionautosport

I really wish I knew about that, it would be ideal and a bargain!
s40pro

Post by s40pro »

Yes I see the autospeed article, is not expensive !! but I doubt about...
The hard point for me for build a kit is know the frequency we need to have a good filtration and tune the volume, I think if we put the best mic and fantastic headphones, etc we can listen the first noises similar to knock before the real knocking and not arrive to have the best ignition map, thinking the engine is on the limit and really is not in the limit....
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Ears and brain are the best filter. Just make a cheap set with rubber pipe and ear defenders.

All you are needing is a stethoscope really.

@ignition. You can use the Phormula's 5v output on the KS4 to feed a knock signal into the DTA. I had tried this a few years ago, but it didnt seem able to distinguish noise and knock on mine. Plus the 10hz logging rate just wasnt fast enough.
Although never did try it at 100hz.

My engine is quite noisy being solid mounted into the car and having a supercharger with straight cut gears bolted to the engine. So I guess it was always going to be a struggle, But on quieter engines it stands a good chance of working.