New and noob

This is a place for anything you feel like sharing - car builds, videos, websites, and any off-topic content in general
Roger
ECU Model: No ECU

New and noob

Post by Roger »

Hi guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Roger and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm orientating myself what to use as a standalone management. As I'm a completely noob with this, I try to learn through reading. I have no intention of ever completely map a car, but a bit more know how will me help in the future with problems etc.

I've found so many standalones on the market it is hard to make a choice. But from the past I've seen some really good running cars with DTA. That's why I'm here.

As I'm still building my car, I did not buy a DTA version yet.

The first questions I have..., is there anywhere a manual where you can get more information from for a non experienced DTA guy like me?

Already mentioned I was building my car. It is an Opel Kadett GSi with an modified C20LET turbo engine. (photo attached)

Anyone else here with an modified C20LET engine running DTA. So I can get some information about sensors, traction control, ALS etc etc?

Kind regards,

Roger

stevieturbo

Re: New and noob

Post by stevieturbo »

S Series Manual is here

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Downloads_Index.htm

For full traction control, you would be wanting the S80Pro
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks! I will take some time to read everything
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

You should be able to use all the OEM engine sensors, or maybe a few changes.

You will need to add sensors for wheel speeds for traction control

But it should all be fairly straightforward
Roger

Post by Roger »

For you it is straight forward... for me.. no haha. Problem here in the Netherlands is also the company's are not really free in giving information.

I'm completely rebuilding the car so every sensor will be new. I want to get rid of the standard and used dodgy bosch ICV. Maybe there is another option available. Also with ALS, I thought somewhere to read you need another valve.
The crankshaft sensor is new off course but I don't know what to do with the camshaft sensor. As it will see a fixed point on the camshaft, but i have adjustable verniers. Or is this a setting in the management? In that case I will re-install the sensor.
The MAF can be deleted?
I've got the wideband gauge incl. sensor (=bosch) from STACK, so that one is already there.

As you can see, I've got a lot to read, unfortunately it is difficult to find all the information.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Roger
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

DTA can drive most 2 wire idle valves.

Yes ALS will require some sort of air bypass. Whether electrical or DIY throttle opening ( eg choke cable type arrangement )

Cam sensor not essential unless you want to run sequential. If the engine has one, then yes may as well use it.
The actual position of the missing tooth is not critical, moving it a few degrees will have no effect on engine running as long as the crank wheel has a TDC reference, which your OEM Opel will.
eg 36 tooth would not, 36-1 with a missing tooth would be fine., yours may have a 60-2 which again is gine.

DTA does not support MAF so it would be deleted.

Whilst I found the book far too basic, it would be worth a read anyway

Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks, I shall try to find that book over here.
I've got a different crank but fitted the original OEM crank wheel on it. Just don't exactly how many teeth. But easy to find out if necessary.

What is the advantage of running sequential versus ??
I can easily install the cam sensor as it is prepared for it. The orignal C20LET has an sensor near the distrubitor cap, What I have is a cap prepared for a sensor (newer type C20XE DIS) Only thing I need to do is fit the little steel "finger" / pin on the camshaft.

I'm already learning something :)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

In reality, most engines will still run great batch fire.

But with larger injectors, sequential is always a good thing. Some will say sequential can run smoother, use less fuel, better throttle response, better for emissions etc etc.

For most tuned cars though I'd say most people would struggle to tell the difference between the two.

But if you can run sequential, I would always say yes to do so.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Okey superb! thanks for the explanation. I will have a load more question, but will read some manuals first.