More Brackets

Post or ask about welding, fabricating, and design!
Tim
ECU Model: S80 Pro

More Brackets

Post by Tim »

Here is my solution to the DTA S60, S80 and S100 mounting dilemma.

A pair of identical rectangular brackets which slip snuggly over the each end of the ECU, and accept a M5 or M6 hex socket cap bolts which allow the brackets to be solidly mounted to your vehicle, or in my case, through a set of four M6 female to male anti vibration mounts.

The prototype mounts pictured here are designed by me using Fusion 360, and printed by a local 3D printer. I intend to have these machined from stronger material before fitting them in the car.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: More Brackets

Post by Alex DTA »

Surely that would be strong enough as it is?

Nice solution though.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The print split slightly between one of the layers when removing the support material which leads me to believe that it might not last very long, or be happy once you put some torque through the bolts holding it in the car.

That could be down to layer adhesion? It's an ABS print which can be a bit of a pain to get right, but I'm no expert. The chap who 3D printed it is doing me another due to the split, so perhaps that will be better, we'll see.
Alex DTA wrote:Nice solution though.
Thanks, I understand there are others who have done similar things, but as I'm trying to learn how to use Fusion I figured this would be a nice project to do so.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

I like that, looks professional too.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
PhillipM
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

It'd be strong enough if it was printed right, problem is most of these little guys that have sprung up only make decorative parts so they print things far too cold with cheap ebay material
Tim

Post by Tim »

I should hopefully get the replacement parts tomorrow, hopefully they're better.

Will report back
Tim

Post by Tim »

As expected the replacements arrived today and they seem much better, I think my tolerances for the bolt holes were a little tighter than they needed to be, M5 is fine, M6 is a little tight.

I'll double check the tolerances and hopefully get it all mounted in the car this weekend.

If anyone would like a pair then let me know, I don't see why I can't have more produced. Not here to undercut anyone, so they'll be priced around the same as MEF's.

Thanks
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

These look great, good idea, only problem I can see is if the mounting surface is not perfectly flat but then you can always put spacers under the mounting lugs to suit. You might need to tell customers they may have to trim the gaskets to slide the ecu into the brackets as some have a larger protrusion than others.

Martin
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks Martin, the gasket on my ECU does a nice job of holding the two brackets in place but I can see if it was much bigger it might need trimming a little bit.

I've not listed them for sale at all, I'm busy working on other things but hope to do so in the not too distant future.
Sonus
Firmware Version: 58

Post by Sonus »

How much would a pair be?