audi r8 coils bmw engine s60

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
destiny460
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Xap
Firmware Version: 86.02

Re: audi r8 coils bmw engine s60

Post by destiny460 »

when I check "external coils amps" (see photo that this is the case)

my coils no longer work, I test them with the ecu, I have 0 volts to the pin 3 ecu information (no voltage variation)
same when I start, 0 volts

it only works properly when "external coils amps" is not checked
Attachments
81235099_487169988884574_7699113986322595840_n.jpg
zdrafko51
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by zdrafko51 »

destiny460 wrote:when I check "external coils amps" (see photo that this is the case)

my coils no longer work, I test them with the ecu, I have 0 volts to the pin 3 ecu information (no voltage variation)

Sorry, I have check the schematics, pin 2 has to be connected to ECU and pin 3 is ground, it does not matter how you connect it, I jump 3 and 4 and then connected it to a chassis.
destiny460

Post by destiny460 »

Is that so ?
but where did you find this schematics ?
zdrafko51
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by zdrafko51 »

zdrafko51 wrote:
destiny460 wrote:when I check "external coils amps" (see photo that this is the case)

Sorry, I have check the schematics, pin 2 has to be connected to ECU and pin 3 is ground, it does not matter how you connect it, I jump 3 and 4 and then connected it to a chassis.
No, your wiering is good, now I am in garage, yestarday I was at work and my son look wrong. Sorry
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Then something is wrong. Those are amplified coils, so will only work if the check box is checked.

If you've had that unchecked, you've probably damaged the coils.
destiny460

Post by destiny460 »

ok after re check with the check box "external coils amps"
I have 3.80 volt, pin 3 ecu information (ecu on)

I run a test of the coils, nothing happens, they are not piloted
I do not understand why ? did i miss something?
Eras
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 86

Post by Eras »

Alex DTA wrote:If they are the Beru coils, then they need a pull up resistor between the signal and 12v wires.

1kOhm is will be fine.
Alex, is this only with beru coils or all ext coil amps?
I am going from bmw m50 oem coils to ext amp. coils (it started to misfire at 0.7bar of boost) and currently looking at beru ZSE032, but if there is bad experience with those, i will switch to another ones.

By the way, what is the function of those pull up resistors? Sorry for asking (maybe) dumb questions, but I am no electrician, although I made wiring loom myself, but that is quite simple. But these improvements (for example why to put pull up resistors between 12V and signal) I cannot understand
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

These specific coils have a higher than normal current requirement, so they require the pull up. Not sure why, but it's
None of the others do.
There is an internal 1k pull up for amplified coils. This extra one reduces the resistance as it is in parallel with the original, enabling the coil to function as intended.

If you want this style of coil, use one of the others, as they are identical in size and work without the pull up.
Eras
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 86

Post by Eras »

Alex DTA wrote:These specific coils have a higher than normal current requirement, so they require the pull up. Not sure why, but it's
None of the others do.
There is an internal 1k pull up for amplified coils. This extra one reduces the resistance as it is in parallel with the original, enabling the coil to function as intended.

If you want this style of coil, use one of the others, as they are identical in size and work without the pull up.
Alex, even when you said to get another coils, I got those beru for a very good price from friend (they were already paid for when original question was asked :? )

So, as a dumb man (stupeed :D ) I am going to ask you (probably) dumb question again :D

What power rating of those resistors should I aim for?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

P = IV = 40 mA * 12 V = about 0.5 Watts