coil signal convertor

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
BoazG
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Re: coil signal convertor

Post by BoazG »

Hi,

Anyone knows what is the trigger (-ve or +ve) for the Subaru COP (Diamond FK0186) ?
http://www.linkecu.com/support/document ... awings/I14

I was thinking they expect a -ve as a trigger, but I'm not sure now...
I want to use those coils with my P8PRO, so looking for advise as how to wire them.

Thanks,

Boaz.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Not sure of the pinout ( but presume the drawing above is correct )

But these coils require 12v, ground and an ecu trigger.

These coils have built in ignitors, so if using the P8Pro you may well need to add a pullup resistor to the trigger line from ecu to coil, as well as checking external amps in general engine settings.

ie, typically they will charge when 5-12v is applied, and they will discharge/fire when this voltage is removed
The pullup resistor is to create this higher voltage on the ecu trigger wire.
BoazG
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Post by BoazG »

Hi Stevie,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Are ALL the coils with built in ignitors charge with a +ve pulse (5v-12v), or are there some coils (with built in ignitors) that charge with a -ve pulse ?

Boaz.
rocar

Post by rocar »

Stevie,how to wire a pull up ?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Not 100% sure on the values of resistor you need for the pullup, you'd maybe want to play with this.

But... for a 12v trigger to charge the coil, you'd wire the resistor across the 12v feed and the ecu trigger.
It could be either the ecu 12v supply, the coil 12v supply etc...really doesnt matter.

This is so when the ecu is charging the coil it receives a 12v signal unhindered.
When the ecu wants to fire the coil it will ground the ecu output dropping the voltage low.

If the coil wants a 5v trigger ( I think most do ) then you'd wire the pullup across the ecu 5v and ecu coil trigger.

That said, the S series have pullups internally, and they send 12v to the coils to charge. Not sure on the value of the resistor they use, I think it has bee mentioned in the forums before though

For most part actual voltage is less critical as long as it crosses a high and ow threshold the coil is happy with.

I think there may be some coils that work of rising edge firing, and Honda springs to mind. But that may only be the units with the coil inside the dizzy on older engines.