s80 no spark pulse at COP

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
omegaman
ECU Model: S80 Pro

s80 no spark pulse at COP

Post by omegaman »

I at the stage of starting my car for the first time. I've checked and double checked my wiring but for some reason I'm not getting a signal on the trigger wire.

I've tried the coil test and the trigger wire remains grounded.

Is there something I'm missing ? I have the external coil amps box checked .
omegaman

Re: s80 no spark pulse at COP

Post by omegaman »

. I have tried the coil test and still no spark . I unplugged all the COPs and looked at the signal at the plug...i have good ground and power wires but the trigger wire just stays at ground when testing . I was expecting to see a 5v pulse. I've checked and double checked everything .

I'm running sequential fuel and spark on a 911 3.0 engine .

coils are beru 4 pin with internal amps. I powered a spare coil on the bench and it sparks when I apply 5v to the trigger pin 4 .

Any help would be hugely appreciated .

Thanks
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Coils with internal ignitors in almost every case will charge when a high voltage is applied to the trigger input ( 5v+ usually ) and fire when it is removed

So your description of it firing when 5v is applied doesnt make sense.

Because of the internal pullup setup they use, the DTA ecu output will send 12v as the charge trigger and remove it to fire the coil.

How exactly are you testing this output ( other than trying to achieve a spark of course ) ?

Really you need a scope to test or sure.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

With a scope across output amd ground, just flat line during coil test.

I guess it sparked as the voltage was removed when I tested one, it did spark.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

omegaman wrote:With a scope across output amd ground, just flat line during coil test.

I guess it sparked as the voltage was removed when I tested one, it did spark.
On every coil output ?

IMO there is no way all 8 are faulty.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

I only checked one, I wasn't implying the outputs were faulty. I was trying to figure out how the dta output works....12v or 5v, high to low or low to high. I've read on other forums that the Cayenne COPs need 12v trigger, other people say 5v.

Being new to the DTA I was,wondering if I had missed something in the setup that would disable the coils.

I will email my crank and ecu file to Alex, I'm.sure he will figure it out.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

test a few outputs, at least that will rule out that aspect

And DTA does send out 12v in order to charge the coils.

I've used this on my LS coils for years with no issue, although OEM normally uses a 5v trigger.

I havent heard any reports here of it posing problems with other marques, but it is possible that some may not like the higher voltage.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Ok thanks, I will check all 6. I checked continuity from the coils to the ECU connector.

I will disconnect all the coils switch off external amp and see what kind of signal is present on the trigger as well.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Ok I managed to spend a few hours on this today. The ecu is definitely giving a 12v pulse on all coil ouputs. I adjusted dwell and could see the change on my scope so id say all is good. The wiring is good so I decided to test the coil again.

I used an old pc power supply and tried 12v and 5v on the trigger pin ....healthy spark with both, it sparks as I touch the pin and as I remove the power.

So I'm.at a loss as to why the coil wont fire on the car. I tried various dwell times

Any ideas ?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

looks like you've picked a non-standard coil. I haven't looked at the detail yet, but if someone wants to chime in while I drink wine, be my guest.

http://www.pim-engineering.com/tiedosto ... module.pdf