No RPM

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
mikee120

No RPM

Post by mikee120 »

I have a kent xflow which i race. The crank sensor wheel smashed and wiped out the sensor with it. Replaced the wheel and sensor and i now have no rpm when cranking on laptop. Bought another sensor just in case i had a faulty one and still no rpm. sensor wheel has 1 tooth missing. cranked with booster on battery as well incase voltage was a problem. Ran test on diagnosic to coil pack and it sparks. The loom didnt get touched when the sensor wheel broke. Anyone have any ideas? Also have moved sensor from half a mm to 1 and a half. scope test reads the teeth but not that great. green line for missing tooth isnt consistent in test.
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Re: No RPM

Post by welshpug »

sounds like you need to take it closer, try 1mm
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

You sure the wiring is ok ? Polarity ok ? Was the sensor the exact same one you were using ?
razzor

Post by razzor »

air gap between wheel and sensor could be too big or the replacement sensor is not the same spec as the one that was on the car originally.
mikee120

Post by mikee120 »

The sensor is from the same manufacturer the air gap has been set to half a mm to one and a half. It's a standard sensor the polarity wouldn't have changed. The loom is undamaged. Could the ecu be the problem? Just on the sensor side of things.
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by x30xe »

1.5mm may be way too much for a small diameter tone ring to get decent signal in cranking conditions. I've usually ended up to 0.4-0.8mm with 130mm diameter rings.

Sometimes things are soooo simple. If it works, don't touch it :mrgreen:
mikee120

Post by mikee120 »

I've tried it close to wheel. I might just push the bracket until it's skimming it. Seriously annoying me as Engine was fine before. I've had at at half a mm. I've got a spare new sensor so I'll get it touching
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by x30xe »

Is new ring similar than the one which broke ? Material.. thickness... teeth width. What sensor ?
mikee120

Post by mikee120 »

Same wheel. Same sensor. Can't remember the name of sensor. It's off of a fiat tempra turbo. Part number Short code:
Sen8d
Long code:
ottotuning
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 44

Post by ottotuning »

That's the same sensor used on 2wd sierra cosworth's

0.5mm to a 1mm should be fine.

Have you tried changing the wires round any way just to see what happens.

Don't forget to make sure the trigger wheel positon is the same as before. :evil: ;)