boost control ? does it work properly on the S60

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
tweeqd
ECU Model: S60 Pro

boost control ? does it work properly on the S60

Post by tweeqd »

does anyone have any experiance with boost control with an S60
i have over 300bhp at the front wheels and a manual boost controler, the problem is to get a good launch i need it on low boost but then need it high once moving and cant turn the manual one while driving

can i get the DTA to change the boost setting dependent on gear??

if not are gizmo controlers any good(ive been offered one by a friend but have never used one)
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: boost control ? does it work properly on the S60

Post by stevieturbo »

Whilst I havent used it. You can control boost via road speed, or gear. Obviously you'll need either of these inputs connected in order to make it work

Just take a look at the boost control setttings on the software.
grant620
Firmware Version: 61

Post by grant620 »

Boost control on DTA doesn't work as well as a standalone controller.
Gizzmo very good yes ;)
Cheers
Grant
http://www.gb-ent.com
Performance Engine Solutions
BeetleBug
Firmware Version: 78

Post by BeetleBug »

grant620 wrote:Boost control on DTA doesn't work as well as a standalone controller.
Gizzmo very good yes ;)
Why not?
MSEL
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 78

Post by MSEL »

grant620 wrote:Boost control on DTA doesn't work as well as a standalone controller.
Gizzmo very good yes ;)

Can you please explain the issues you have had with the DTA boost control?

In your experience what makes Gizzmo better than using the built in boost control?

I'm just curious as there seems to be a segment of the market which rave about aftermarket boost controllers and another segment which swear by the boost controller built into the ECU (no matter what the brand is).
Nem

Post by Nem »

Never tried dta boost controller but the ams1000 is what I run on my bike and IMO best out there
Kev
Firmware Version: 53

Post by Kev »

I have used "by speed" on DTA to limit low speed boost, worked as expected. Although I think you would be much better off setting up launch with/without boost limiting if you really want a consistent start.
grant620
Firmware Version: 61

Post by grant620 »

Sorry for late reply.
I spent an entire weekend playing with DTA boost control and it just didn't do what I wanted. Couldn't get steady boost.
Aftermarket boost controller is easier to install, very easy to set up, and you get much more choice of boost levels.
No need for a laptop or knowledge of PID loops and so on to make an aftermarket system work.
If you were setting up on the dyno it would be substantially cheaper to do with standalone boost controller in my experience.
Cheers
Grant
http://www.gb-ent.com
Performance Engine Solutions
Kev
Firmware Version: 53

Post by Kev »

I have avoided PID (extra complexity I didn't need), just set duty %. Found it matters how you plumb , for me normally closed gave more range with a AEM solenoid.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

Yep, I was going to say the actual solenoid choice makes a difference too. I had no luck what so ever with a VW N75 valve and I think DTA had to change the software to allow a minus Prop to be used, but it was still flaky.

I had better luck with the AEM valve too: http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=222

Open loop control was nicer but I found the boost pressures varied too much over winter and summer, so I went with an external close loop controller in the end, a Gizzmo IBC_R, which was absolutely spot on.