S60, S100 overheating problems

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
szutsgabor
ECU Model: S60 Pro

S60, S100 overheating problems

Post by szutsgabor »

Hy!

We are using DTA ECU in a Formula Student race-car, with a one cylinder KTM 500EXC based engine. For ignition we assembled a COP, so in the engine settings we checked the external coil apm option. As we know if external coil amp is checked the ECU chassis will become hot quickly (approximately 50-60 °C). In our car the ECU and the fuse and relay panel are assembled in a small waterproof carbon-fiber enclosure without fresh air ventilation. Can this be a problem? Maybe can this heat harm the ECU?
Firstly we used a DTA S60, but after one hour of use its got broken (the ECU saw bad crankshaft sensor signals, so it wasn't able to start the engine), but i don't know if that happened because of the high heat dissipation. After that assembled an S100 ECU to the same enclosure, and it was running smooth for days, but now sometimes when we crank the engine the ECU wont start the fuel pump (or only starts after several seconds of cranking, or stop the fuel pump during cranking).
So my question is that should we design some kind of cooling for the ECU, or some type of ventilation, or this self generated heat cant harm the ECU and our problems caused by some other reason.
RobScott
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: martin fox

Re: S60, S100 overheating problems

Post by RobScott »

Yeah I'd say ventilation would be needed. Quite a few ecus use the body as a heat sink.

have you sent the ecus for testing to see why they failed?
DTA Gareth
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by DTA Gareth »

Those temperatures are not unusual as the case is indeed the heat sink.

Ventilation will certainly help matters but shouldn't really be cooking the unit as you suggest.

Ass with most things,check the wiring, always check the wires
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

You assembled a COP ?

Be more specific. Does this coil have an internal amplifier or is it a regular inductive coil ? This will determine whether "external amps" needs checked or not.

The DTA 60/80 etc are a waterproof design, as are connectors, so no need to then enclose everything too. Although not sure I'd go submerging the ecu in water either lol...but I doubt the race car ever gets that wet.

Not 100% sure on the D-Sub connector though but shouldnt be hard to ensure it doesnt get drowned.

And given faulty ecu's are very rare, if indeed what you experienced is a faulty ecu, you can be sure it has been caused by your install...especially as you seem to suggest it has happened to 2 different ecu's
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

Not all cop have internal amplifiers!

Can you be more specific about the coil and the dwell times?
szutsgabor
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by szutsgabor »

Im not sure what is the exact type of the coil, buts it is an NKG pencil type coil with internal amplifier. Dwell time set to 2000 by catalog.
We sent back the ECU for testing, but we didnt get eny results yet.
The wiring is good, the whole harness is made with spec44 wires, and the connections are double checked. This problem only happened with our S60 ECU, but after that we replaced it with an S100 and its work well for 2 weeks now.
We covered the enclosure with heat mirror plate, so the heat which generated by the engine cant affect the ECU now. If the ECU-s heat dissipation cant harm itself, i think it will work now well.
RobScott
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: martin fox

Post by RobScott »

how close it the ecu to the engine?