DTA S40-pro idle control using ignition?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: DTA S40-pro idle control using ignition?

Post by ignitionautosport »

Good to hear! What ignition timing does it sit around, when cold and once warm? Sounds like the throttle might be open more than needed, which can make a drastic jump in ignition timing if it's sitting quite retarded then advances to main map when you touch the throttle - which can feel sensitive just off idle. You could close the butterfly a touch and recheck and tweak as you see fit (or leave it as it's working fine obviously!).

And yeah, it's actually really nice idle control, far better than I expected before using it.
Like, OEM quality.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
firewalk
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by firewalk »

ignitionautosport wrote:Good to hear! What ignition timing does it sit around, when cold and once warm? Sounds like the throttle might be open more than needed, which can make a drastic jump in ignition timing if it's sitting quite retarded then advances to main map when you touch the throttle - which can feel sensitive just off idle. You could close the butterfly a touch and recheck and tweak as you see fit (or leave it as it's working fine obviously!).

And yeah, it's actually really nice idle control, far better than I expected before using it.
Like, OEM quality.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try and fine adjust it and see what happens. In the past I've been almost affraid to even touch it after first having hit the "sweet spot" :D

It seems to idle at 4-7 degrees most of the time. I can try and see if I can get up up towards 10. :D
rxboxster

Post by rxboxster »

hey thats awesome, I just ignored the idle settings as my car is a race car, but i think I may have a play around with that when im bored :)
ignitionautosport

bah. double post, can I delete theses..
Last edited by ignitionautosport on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
ignitionautosport

firewalk wrote:Thanks for the tip, I'll try and fine adjust it and see what happens. In the past I've been almost afraid to even touch it after first having hit the "sweet spot" :D

It seems to idle at 4-7 degrees most of the time. I can try and see if I can get up up towards 10. :D
oh, I wouldn't bother; that's not overly retarded so if it works I'd be happy leaving it as is.

Maybe, I can get fussy lol.
corsaboy
Firmware Version: 79

Post by corsaboy »

thx @ignitionautosport
Now my idle control is also working..

learned a lot past weekend :)
Only have still the problem that the car is stalling after hitting the throttle, but maybe this is the design of the engine with a lower rpm on idle...

My throttle body is in front of the supercharger..
Vauxhall Corsa C20XE Powered by Eaton M90
firewalk

Post by firewalk »

corsaboy wrote:thx @ignitionautosport

Only have still the problem that the car is stalling after hitting the throttle, but maybe this is the design of the engine with a lower rpm on idle...

I'm no expert, but I'm thinkig it could have to do with your throttle transients settings. If it's geting too little or too much fuel when you touch the accelrator pedal, it would want to stall. Anyways, that's where you adjust it. There's maps for cold and warm engine. :)
ignitionautosport

firewalk wrote:
corsaboy wrote:thx @ignitionautosport

I'm no expert, but I'm thinkig it could have to do with your throttle transients settings. If it's geting too little or too much fuel when you touch the accelrator pedal, it would want to stall. Anyways, that's where you adjust it. There's maps for cold and warm engine. :)
Glad to help where I can.

I'd be fiddling with transient throttle also at a guess from the symptom. Could be a hole in timing map but if that looks reasonable or there's not a massive jump from the idle control to the main map then transient throttle settings would be a good place to start trying changes.
corsaboy
Firmware Version: 79

Post by corsaboy »

ok, just looking in these settings..
Not sure what is safe to change..

Looks like i have still the base settings for the Engine Hot (tip Out) from the vauxhall c20xe base map.. can i just reduce a little the reduction in fuel from these map? To don't let the engine stall i just need to hit the throttle a little for half a second. Not very hard because we use her only for the 1/4 mile but if i can fix it, it is Always nice :)
Vauxhall Corsa C20XE Powered by Eaton M90
PhillipM
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

That's usually a case of not enough low-speed tip in, or richen the idle and surrounding cells slightly as sometimes that helps more.