overboost settings

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
firewalk
ECU Model: S40 Pro

overboost settings

Post by firewalk »

Another n00b question to the gurus in here. As I didn't set up my ecu myself, I'm constantly digging into the software to try and learn as much as possible.
I noticed that my I can set an overboost limit, but it's in the boost control menu with the valve settings. And it seems it can only be enabled if a boost control valve is enabled? I was a bit confused by that.

I have an external HKS evc boost controller so I don't need any boost control from the ECU. But I do need overboost protection.

Should I just enable boost control in the ECU even though I don't have a valve controlled by it? It seems that's the only way to enable the overboost settings?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: overboost settings

Post by Rob Stevens »

I have no boost control on my supercharged engine but the over boost stil works
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

I would imagine it doesn't care if it's connected to a valve or not. Just enable it and set the overboost protection.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
firewalk

Post by firewalk »

I tried enabling boost control, but I just got an error message saying something like "can not enable because aux3 fan is enabled"
AUX3 is my cooling fan and is needed to cool the engine and intercooler. I tried typing in a value in the "overboost" setting, but I don't know if this is functional or not when boost control is not enabled? Can anyone confirm? If so then I find it a bit strange that I can't set an overboost protection as long as I have a cooling fan on aux3 or not using the integrated boost control ?
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Why use the Aux3 output for fan control when there is a dedicated fan output?
firewalk

Post by firewalk »

katana wrote:Why use the Aux3 output for fan control when there is a dedicated fan output?
That's a good question. :lol:
The entire system was set up by a dealer many years ago.
I have no idea how it's wired. I'm a decent mechanic but not so good with the electrics unfortunately, so I just have to work with what I've got.

So in other words the overboost protection is (and will remain) off?

Having used the aux3 if there's a fan output is indeed weird and unfortunate. But I still think it's also weird if that means that the overboost protection can not work because of that?
It's an essential feature to protect the engine and should be under general engine settings or something I think. It's operation shouldn't be restricted based on any output configuration.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

The only nice thing about using an AUX for fan is that it only turns the electric fan on when the engine is running whereas the dedicated output will run the fan at key-on. Something I hope we can change in the future.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Jon K wrote:The only nice thing about using an AUX for fan is that it only turns the electric fan on when the engine is running whereas the dedicated output will run the fan at key-on. Something I hope we can change in the future.
But won't the fan only run if the temp is above the set point whether wired dedicated or Aux output - isn't that the point?
firewalk

Post by firewalk »

The fan turns on when the coolant temp reaches 75c. It's a combined intercooler and engine fan.
Is there any other way I can rewire it so that I can have the fan come on at that temp, and at the same time be able to enable overboost protection?

I've experienced problems with vacuum hoses a few times, causing extreme turbo over pressure. It would be nice to have some protection against that! :)
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Jon K wrote:The only nice thing about using an AUX for fan is that it only turns the electric fan on when the engine is running whereas the dedicated output will run the fan at key-on. Something I hope we can change in the future.
You can change that now. Turn of fan control in the normal place, and use the Aux2 settings to control the fan. ;)