E48 launch control

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
raymonddfz
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA! Garath

E48 launch control

Post by raymonddfz »

Hi,
I have an E48 and I am trying to get the launch control working.
I have connected up a wheel speed sensor , I have fitted a momentary switch between pin 7 and 4 from the ECU,( I have checked continuity on the wiring just to make sure )
I have switched it all on in the software and yet with the engine running, I push the button and nothing.
(The warning light doesn't come on but it does illuminate when you switch the ignition on so it is functioning)
Only thoughts anybody?

Regards
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: E48 launch control

Post by Rob Stevens »

Does your gear change light work normally?
You need to open the throttle fully.
Are your settings something like this?
Attachments
launch.docx
(264.92 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
raymonddfz

Post by raymonddfz »

Thanks Rob,
Settings are similar just different values,
I will try Full throttle, i haven't done that as I thought the light would flash if the system was all OK and ready. Can I test the gear change light to check its operation apart from the obvious?
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

just set the gear change light to come on at say 2000 rpm just to check the lamp is working, I suspect the lamp is not working. Also from the real time info screen you should be able to see the launch status.
raymonddfz

Post by raymonddfz »

I have worked out how to reduce revs to test the gear change light, if the lamp doesn't illuminate, what could be the issue?
will the launch control status tell me if all is correct with the ECU program?
This happens when the engine is running, correct?

Thanks for your assistance so far,

Regards
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

If gear change lamp doesn't work could be one of the following, most likely first.

1. Faulty wiring
2. Faulty lamp
3. Faulty ECU

The launch status tells you the current rpm targets etc. If they stay at 0 it's likely that you have not initiated launch, the switch is not working or you have not turned it on in the software.

Yes engine needs to be running.
raymonddfz

Post by raymonddfz »

A slightly strange update.
connected the lap top, I tried to readjust the gear change light to 2000 but in the general engine setting page that I was using, it would not let me alter them. Kept saying ERROR, second injector switching must be between 2000 and max RPM. I only have a single set of injectors so did not update.
Started the engine, jumped in, pushed the clutch and the launch enable button and hey presto, light flashing and when the revs built up, as they reached the launch settling, the limiter cut in as expected.
Disconnected lap top, thinking all must have been magically cured, put seat back in etc etc started up once more, and nothing....... Possible wiring fault do you think?

In the live info screen, there was readings in the undriven wheel speed KPH and driven speed KPH, but nothing else.

Car runs ok, has been for a long while but just wanted to try the launch control

Regards and thanks so far
Antral

Post by Antral »

raymonddfz wrote:A slightly strange update.
connected the lap top, I tried to readjust the gear change light to 2000 but in the general engine setting page that I was using, it would not let me alter them. Kept saying ERROR, second injector switching must be between 2000 and max RPM. I only have a single set of injectors so did not update.
Started the engine, jumped in, pushed the clutch and the launch enable button and hey presto, light flashing and when the revs built up, as they reached the launch settling, the limiter cut in as expected.
Disconnected lap top, thinking all must have been magically cured, put seat back in etc etc started up once more, and nothing....... Possible wiring fault do you think?

In the live info screen, there was readings in the undriven wheel speed KPH and driven speed KPH, but nothing else.

Car runs ok, has been for a long while but just wanted to try the launch control

Regards and thanks so far
Must be a ground issue again... you got a ground through your serial cable when connected to the ecu.
raymonddfz

Post by raymonddfz »

That makes sense, can I ground the ECU case or should I check the main wiring earth?
Antral

Post by Antral »

raymonddfz wrote:That makes sense, can I ground the ECU case or should I check the main wiring earth?
Check the wiring as it is most likely a sensor ground issue but check all grounds to be sure.