Odd shenanigans

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
onslack
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Odd shenanigans

Post by onslack »

Short story as I'll be here all day typing and boring you guys :lol:

Every time I change the alternator ( swapped it out once for something a little smaller in size due to space issues and this 2nd time as I had to lend it to a mate for hia car) my car won't run properly afterwards :oops:

The alternator ive fitted is pretty much exactly the same as the one I removed, charges at 14.2v which iirc is what the old one charged at

It's been running fine ( diy mapped at the moment) for the last month and a bit on the old alt ( which I'm trying to get back so I can see wtf is going on)

my car will run for a bit then just die for no reason ! I had Alex on the phone a while ago he was filed in remotely and couldn't see an issue , I had the ecu sent off and checked for my own peace of mind nothing was wrong with it

Can anyone else shed any light on what else can possibly check ?

It's due for mapping on Thursday so this isn't helping me very much

It's a mk2 fiesta running a st170 engine , gsxr1000 bike bodies on a dta s60 ecu

If you need to know anymore info just ask as I'm sure I've forgotten something in my ramblings lol
Antral

Re: Odd shenanigans

Post by Antral »

All I can think of is faulty or dirty alternator wiring upsetting the ECU power supply, If you haven't touched anything else ( ie. re routing and getting interferance).
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Positive that it's in good nick? Rectifier can blow a diode and still reads 14 odd volts on a meter but have massive voltage spikes.
Otherwise I'm not sure, but for a start it sounds like you need to sort injector latency out.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
onslack

Post by onslack »

Antral wrote:All I can think of is faulty or dirty alternator wiring upsetting the ECU power supply, If you haven't touched anything else ( ie. re routing and getting interferance).
I'll have to re checked it , but it was all checked when we wired the ecu up, the thing I can't understand is it runs fine on my mates old alternator, anything new it hates it
ignitionautosport wrote:Positive that it's in good nick? Rectifier can blow a diode and still reads 14 odd volts on a meter but have massive voltage spikes.
Otherwise I'm not sure, but for a start it sounds like you need to sort injector latency out.
I ordered it on Monday last week , it was late in arriving which is why I took the alt that was fitted to my car and gave it to a mate of mine

I literally took it out the box on Saturday and fitted it yesterday

I'm looking at the real time chart and even that is showing its charging at 14.2v,would that show a voltage spike ?

I'm assuming you mean injector dead time? Can't find anything in the manual about latency

I'm still learning with all this stuff so bare with me
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

onslack wrote:I ordered it on Monday last week , it was late in arriving which is why I took the alt that was fitted to my car and gave it to a mate of mine

I literally took it out the box on Saturday and fitted it yesterday
Ah it's new? Would not expect it failed then.
onslack wrote:I'm assuming you mean injector dead time? Can't find anything in the manual about latency
Yes, same thing sorry.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

ignitionautosport wrote:Ah it's new? Would not expect it failed then.
I wouldn't be surprised, some of the "new" pattern parts these days are terrible.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

onslack wrote: my car will run for a bit then just die for no reason
Elaborate. Datalog.

Does it stop getting fuel, power, other ? What have you tested during this issue ? how repeatable is it ?
onslack

Post by onslack »

Alex DTA wrote:
ignitionautosport wrote:Ah it's new? Would not expect it failed then.
I wouldn't be surprised, some of the "new" pattern parts these days are terrible.
I wouldn't be surprised either, but it was brand new out the box on Saturday :lol:
ignitionautosport wrote: Yes, same thing sorry.
iirc my injector dead time is set to 0.70, when doing the test there is a minor fluctuation in the afr ( gets richer) so they need minor tweaking
stevieturbo wrote:
onslack wrote: my car will run for a bit then just die for no reason
Elaborate. Datalog.

Does it stop getting fuel, power, other ? What have you tested during this issue ? how repeatable is it ?
I've had a fuel pressure gauge connect up and it doesn't drop pressure or voltage to the pump

I had the dash out on Monday and it doesn't drop voltage to my distribution block either

I've checked the throttle stops, changed plugs, leads, coil packs, cps sensor, cam sensor ( only sensor i had changed was the vvt solenoid)

It was pretty repeatable to the stage where it would do it every single time I started the car, i had the diagnostic screen up as well as the real time chart everything runs perfectly as it should nothing would tail off or drop

a datalog session is the only thing I didn't do

We did find a vac hose going to my mc/servo was kinked and when you opened it up the car would run properly, its started and run perfectly since replacing that section of hose

So I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what's what, hopefully that was the cause