An Introduction & S40 or S60 Help

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Tim
ECU Model: S80 Pro

An Introduction & S40 or S60 Help

Post by Tim »

Hi,

I am currently in the market for an aftermarket ECU to run my Starlet GT track car.

It has a standard 1300cc Turbo engine fitted, which has a slightly uprated turbo kit, making use of a Forester TF035 turbo with an external wastegate. But apart from that, the engine is standard, albeit freshly rebuilt. I intend to run around 15psi of boost, which should equate to around 200 horsepower, we aren't setting the world a light here.

I understand that I wouldn't be able to run sequential ignition or injection with the S40, but am not sure if that is necessary for my application, perhaps someone can sway me one way or the other on that one?

Switchable maps on the S60 might be of use as well, it appears that isn't possible with the S40, again not sure if I'd actually make use of those. Although a wet/dry map switch might be useful?

One thing in the S40 spec I struggle with is this: "Fan/Aux 2/Turbo Pressure Valve (Shared Use)" I assume I'm able to control a radiator fan, and a boost solenoid independently, or not?

I would like to monitor the following, and these must be available through the CAN BUS.

Oil Temp
Coolant Temp
Oil Pressure
MAP
RPM
IAT
Fuel Level
Fuel Pressure

The only one of the above I can't see mention of in the CAN spec is Fuel Level, but there are 3 x Ana V, would it possible to have one of those populated from a fuel level sensor?

Why is the above so important? Well, I am part way through developing a dashboard app for Android (But we already have one of those, I hear you cry), you do, but without wanting to step on Alex's toes mine is aimed more at the trackday/entry level race market, and will hopefully support more than the DTA family of ECU's. I do however want to cut my teeth on CAN Streams with whatever ECU I decide to fit my car, adding further ECU support in the future.

Currently the app makes use of a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter, and works using the rather restrictive, unpredictable, at times far too slow, oh and often infuriating OBD2 standard. For the DTA I intend to use an Arduino and CanBus module and give it either Wifi or Bluetooth connectivity to stream data to an Android device.

It does some basic data logging, both GPS and Engine parameters, I'm currently working on Circuit Tools integration. You are also able to select Peak/Min values for warning, etc, etc. The standard stuff you would expect really..

It also features a bluetooth sequential LED shift light, not sure if this is relevant here, but maybe?

Anyway, I'll shut up, if anyone could answer my questions relating to which ECU and/or feedback or advice on what I've blabbed on about above please do so.

Many Thanks
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: An Introduction & S40 or S60 Help

Post by Rob Stevens »

You don't need sequential for your simple equal fire 4 pot. However if you move up to the S60 you could use one of the 0-5v inputs to output on the can for the fuel level, but it uses up the input for nothing much really but I do see the need so you can ditch all the standard gauges.
The S60 doesn't have the restrictions on inputs / outputs sharing like turbo/fan etc.
So S60 then. But you only get wet/dry switch on S80
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Hi Tim, good to see you here.

As Rob says, you don't need an S60 to run the engine. However, he's wrong in that the S60 does have switchable maps.

Your set up is very similair to my Golf, which runs on an S40.

Aux 2 is the fan control as standard. However, on the S40, this is the only PWM output, so you'd need to use this for the turbo valve.
You can simply connect the fan relay to one of the other outputs, but note this means the fan won't run when the ECU is off.
My fan is controlled by a simple thermo switch on the rad, not the ECU.

However, if you want all the inputs you've mentioned, the S40 doesn't have enough inputs. The only one you wouldn't be able to connect though, would be fuel level.
However, I'm not sure how much use it would be. The raw signal from the sender normally varies a lot, and the gauges damp down the swings.

If I were you, I'd go for an S60, simply so you have some room for expansion if required. If you're convinced you won't need any other sensors, then go for an S40.

Looking forward to seeing how the display pans out.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

And if you want full traction control...go for the S80.

it's a long term investment....I'd urge you to choose the S80 over the others although the S60 will still have you covered.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'd already made my mind up before posting but nice to have some input before doing so.

Hoping to get my order placed for the S60 asap, excited to see it all come together.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

This is a 4EFE map I did using 4E-FTE distributor (4EFE one only has 4 teeth), might help get in the ballpark. It was using an S80.
Attachments
TOYOTA 4EFE MiniSprint71.map
(44.29 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thank you very much!

I think I'm going to run the engine in with the standard management, then once that's done switch to DTA, but if all that does is help me drive it onto the trailer then it's a massive help!

Many Thanks