Logging lambda and analogue outputs / nitrous - DTA S60

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
BeetleBug
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 78

Logging lambda and analogue outputs / nitrous - DTA S60

Post by BeetleBug »

Hi everyone,

I`m using a DTA S60 on my aircooled flat 4 turbo/nitrous/E85 engine and so far so good. But for next season I would like to push the engine further adding more nitrous and thats when it gets a bit complicated. Compared to high end ECU`s from Motec, Autronic, Vipec etc I`m not able to use a combination of sensor inputs to trigger the nitrous:

For example: rpm + boost and/or intake temperatur / throttle position
Am I actually forced to use several relays and multiple analogue outs to trigger the relays? :roll:

And what about the lambda log? Do I have to run the engine in a closed loop configuration to be able to log the lambda values?

Thanks in advance,

Best rgs
BB
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Logging lambda and analogue outputs / nitrous - DTA S60

Post by stevieturbo »

BeetleBug wrote:Hi everyone,

I`m using a DTA S60 on my aircooled flat 4 turbo/nitrous/E85 engine and so far so good. But for next season I would like to push the engine further adding more nitrous and thats when it gets a bit complicated. Compared to high end ECU`s from Motec, Autronic, Vipec etc I`m not able to use a combination of sensor inputs to trigger the nitrous:

For example: rpm + boost and/or intake temperatur / throttle position
Am I actually forced to use several relays and multiple analogue outs to trigger the relays? :roll:

And what about the lambda log? Do I have to run the engine in a closed loop configuration to be able to log the lambda values?

Thanks in advance,

Best rgs
BB
Cant comment on the nitrous...I think
But yes Lambda is logged at all times if it is clicked in the logging options.

Re nitrous. If you dont want it enabled below xyz rpm and below xyz TPS.

Link it's activation up to ALS/MAP2. As you can specify those parameters those parameters for it.
You could then use the Aux output to activate ALS for the actual nitrous relay. MAP 2 would then offer any fuel or timing corrections required
Last edited by stevieturbo on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeetleBug

Post by BeetleBug »

Thank you for your reply stevieturbo!

I have lambda clicked in the logging options but it shows a flat line 0.7 no matter what in the DTA log. I`m using a old Innovative LM1 air/fuel ratio meter. However, runing in a closed loop configuration it starts to log/showing the actual AF.

MAP2 is currently used as a high boost (race map) triggered by a button on the dash. This is also where I have added nitrous today using only TPS as the trigger for the gas. I want use TPS and boost next season for added security.

Best rgs
BB
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

BeetleBug wrote:Thank you for your reply stevieturbo!

I have lambda clicked in the logging options but it shows a flat line 0.7 no matter what in the DTA log. I`m using a old Innovative LM1 air/fuel ratio meter. However, runing in a closed loop configuration it starts to log/showing the actual AF.

MAP2 is currently used as a high boost (race map) triggered by a button on the dash. This is also where I have added nitrous today using only TPS as the trigger for the gas. I want use TPS and boost next season for added security.

Best rgs
BB
Given the boost columns will be the same for each map. Shouldnt matter which map you actually use ? High and low will be on the same 20x14, so should not require the use of two separate maps
or does that switch actually control boost too ?

And are you sure the La input is wired correctly ? If you flatline the Innovate output to test, can you see this raw voltage correctly in Lambda settings ?

Whilst it isnt what you want to do....maybe one of these fancy nitrous controllers might be the best option ?

But in this instance, the DTA definitely has limitations in how flexible/versatile it's outputs are based only on a single input channel.

Whilst I dont use many myself, I am often tempted to switch to another ecu to open up different options.
But the DTA is just so damn easy to use. Starting fresh would be so much work.
BeetleBug

Post by BeetleBug »

stevieturbo wrote: Given the boost columns will be the same for each map. Shouldnt matter which map you actually use ? High and low will be on the same 20x14, so should not require the use of two separate maps
or does that switch actually control boost too ?
Yes, Map1 = base pressure (WG spring pressure) Map2 is where I have altered the turbo map to increase the boost (and add nitrous)
stevieturbo wrote: And are you sure the La input is wired correctly ? If you flatline the Innovate output to test, can you see this raw voltage correctly in Lambda settings ?
I`m pretty sure it is wired correctly since I can see the lambda values in the DTA`s real time display.
stevieturbo wrote:
Whilst it isnt what you want to do....maybe one of these fancy nitrous controllers might be the best option ?
Should really not be necessary when using a fancy ECU.
stevieturbo wrote: But in this instance, the DTA definitely has limitations in how flexible/versatile it's outputs are based only on a single input channel. Whilst I dont use many myself, I am often tempted to switch to another ecu to open up different options.
But the DTA is just so damn easy to use. Starting fresh would be so much work.
Hmmm.. I was afraid I would get that answer. I do not find DTA very easy to use and mapping a engine is certainly not as easy compared to others. Knowing what I know today after using DTA 1 season and after looking at others I would not choose DTA again.

But DTA is what I have and what I`m stuck with for the moment... but the Motec M84 is starting to look very tempting 8-)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Weird about the logging.

Have you tried updating to the most recent firmware and software ? Or perhaps reverting back a flash or two ?
It might resolve a glitch like that.

The DTA is what it is. Fancy ? hard to say. It does what it says on the tin. I guess you are asking more of it though. Perhaps not unreasonable, but it has never proclaimed to do the things you ask in as much detail.

As time goes by, new and better options will always appear though. Lets not forget, the S-series platform is now a few years old.

The likes of an M84 is pretty much brand new, and FM it is a step up in many ways from older Motecs. So if you had an old M400 for example, you might be pretty pissed at the M84 having more features.

That's just how things are.

Whilst Ive still to use it myself, the Syvecs would be a good option, and you can run up to 8 totally different maps and is very very adaptable.
I'm also tempted by the new Adaptronic e1280s as features in the video I linked the other day with the Musical injectors.
Even their cheaper units look impressive value for money.

And as you say, the new Link/Vipec ranges are pretty good.

That's the problem, so much choice these days.
BeetleBug

Post by BeetleBug »

Again thanks Stevieturbo,

I agree in all you say with regards to the DTA compared to other brands out there. Time is flying away and it does not take long for a ECU to be out dated. I was brand new to ECU`s one year ago when I changed from high compression carb/nitrous engines to turbo/EFi and without the help from others I would probably have thrown the ECU in the garbage long ago.

That said, I have not updated my ECU with the latest firmware/software. Perhaps there are some new and interesting features available since the V53? And how difficult can it be to update the software with the flexibilty I`m missing? Certainly there must be others using DTA and nitrous that have reacted on the same thing?

And choices should not be considered a problem :)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Updating will not give you anywhere close to what you need. But it may rectify the logging problem.

Features havent been upgraded that much.

And I suspect there arent that many people using nitrous, and those that do are either small shots perhaps dry without the safety backups you wish to implement, or standalone controllers.
I just cant see any workaround to your problem. As all DTA's outputs reference only to a single channel.

You really need at least a proper 2d map, although better still a 3d map