8 staged injectors on p8pro with driver box

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Fredrik
ECU Model: P8 Pro

8 staged injectors on p8pro with driver box

Post by Fredrik »

I am rely struggling to get 4 injectors staged with four more with my p8pro I have.. I have worked on this car for over 10 years and the p8 pro is almost new so I am trying not to switch it out. I gave up the idea until I found this injector driver from Hondata.. https://www.hondata.com/products/inject ... tor-driver

Wireing: https://www.hondata.com/help/injectordr ... wiring.htm

Of course it is a 4 chanel and the picture below only shows one.

A thread about it on Hondatas forum if you like to know more.
https://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic ... tor+driver

Whats your thoughts?? I have 8pc ID 1000cc exactly the same injectors for my 4cyl. I was thinking I could use a aux output 100% dutycykel from the p8pro to trigger the injector driver by a set rpm and take out about 50% of the fuel with fuel compensation. Do you think that could work? Or will there be a problem in the main fuel map with interpolation between cells/columns etc.. Will the switching piont be exact and consistent along with the triggered 50% fuel reduction and with the trigger signal that triggers the driver. I don´t want the injector duty be reduced before the second pair injectors starts. I understand it needs to be tuned and the 50% reduction in fuel is not exact at all pulswiths etc. Do you think this could work.?. I am getting a headache thinking of all this. I assume that when the driver is triggered it starts the staggered injectors by the next dutycykel and that it isn´t any timing delays going on etc.. I will look in to that.

Just to trigger the driver by rpm and reduce the amount of fuel by the same rpm point in the main fuelmap I am thinking will create alot of problems with the interpolation to the fuel cells in the row before or is there a way to get rid of the interpolation at just one rpm row in the main fuel map.

Hope I make sense.
Last edited by Fredrik on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceman_n
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Re: 8 staged injectors on p8pro with driver box

Post by iceman_n »

if you gonna spent 395$ then buy a new ecu to drive them directly and sell the p8
Fredrik

Post by Fredrik »

That is not an option right now
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

The P8 can do staged injection already ?

What are you trying to do ?
Fredrik

Post by Fredrik »

When the 4 primary injectors are at maybe 85% duty I would like to have the second set activated together with the primaries and I want to keep a 4 cyl sequential fuel delivery. That is not supposed to work with the p8pro according to Allan at DTA.

Or I would like to activate the second set at a certain rpm together with the primaries..
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Just use the P8 as intended if you need to run 8 injectors. You don't have a blend map like the S series.
Sounds like you are making something very complicated for no reason.
I used the P8 with 8 injectors for years and can't think what you are trying to do.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Hi Frederik

When you say it doesn't work, what's not working?

You have three options here.

The P8 will use phase two injectors per cylinder based on duty cycle. If you set the switching RPM to a value higher than your RPM limit, the ECU will simply turn on the second set of injectors when the duty cycle goes above about 85% on the primary injectors. You don't have to do anything, except tick twin injectors, and set the RPM to a very high value in General Engine Settings.

If you want to use the Hondata injector driver, I would connect the activation to one of the Aux outs. Select RPM as your switching point, and set the RPM you want the second set of injectors to start working at. That's all.
When you map the car, you will find that you need to reduce the injector opening times at that RPM.
WARNING: I have no idea how responsive the Hondata system is, so you may have transient issues when the switching happens.

The third option is to use the switching as it was designed to work. Use 1000cc as your primary injectors, and 2000cc as your secondary injectors, and switch at your desired RPM.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Fredrik wrote:When the 4 primary injectors are at maybe 85% duty I would like to have the second set activated together with the primaries and I want to keep a 4 cyl sequential fuel delivery. That is not supposed to work with the p8pro according to Allan at DTA.

Or I would like to activate the second set at a certain rpm together with the primaries..
I can see in the wiring diagram it does mention non sequential for staged injection.

I do know people who have used staged 4+4 before, although TBH don't know if they had them configured as sequential or not.
Fredrik

Post by Fredrik »

Thats right.. It is not sequential with 8 injectors on a 4 cyl with the primaries activated all the time according to Allan. This was some time ago so I might be remember wrong but as I remember it is sequential if I switch between two sets of injectors.. So I can have 1 set of say 1000cc primaries injectors and the other set of 2000cc secondary injectors.. It switches between the two sets. That will be one crazy expensive injector setup.. I have 8pc of the same ID 1000 cc injectors. I don´t like the spray pattern of the 2000cc ones ether.

I got an answer fron hondata that the driver starts at an instant when it is triggered. So I think it will work greate using a analog aux output and reduce the fuel about 50% when the second set is activasted. I will be loosing one of the three aux inputs I neededfor logging something else though.

BTW it would be an easier decision to switch to the S80 if it had more than 3 user defined analog inputs.. Logging all kinds of stuff along with all the other engine parameters is key to got damn everything in competition. X dash would solve that I guess but I would rather have that in the ecu.. Hope that comes in the next DTA systems along with gerabox paddle controll and center diff controll etc.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Something to remind yourself is that at 85% duty sequential is somewhat irrelevant compared to valve open time.

S100 has paddle control (triggers) built in, and diff control can use a PWM out?
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |