Paddle shift switches for S100

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Paul Corbin
ECU Model: No ECU
Firmware Version: 34

Paddle shift switches for S100

Post by Paul Corbin »

Hi, I've spent a few hours searching before I post, but I have upgraded to an S100 from Martin so I can add the paddle shift to my rally car.

Martin has given me all the details of the valves and switches I need but I'd like to make my own carbon fibre paddle based on something from an S12 WRC car. I've looked into switches for it but I wondered if anyone has made their own paddles and can advise me on the switches they used?

Thanks

Paul
Antral

Re: Paddle shift switches for S100

Post by Antral »

Ask Martin he made his own first and it worked a treat.
Paul Corbin

Post by Paul Corbin »

Hi Antral, I have asked Martin and he ended up buying a paddle already made from pro shift I think.

He started off with basic buttons, one for up and one for down, then made his own paddle, but then bought one complete.
Antral

Post by Antral »

Yes I competed in his car more than once with the home made paddle it worked well as I said.

Tony.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

My home made carbon paddle used an alloy block, 2 cherry micro switches that rested on the paddle, one from each side plus 2 small coil springs that were pre-loading ball bearings to centralise the paddle and give it some tension. It worked perfectly and i was very happy with it until I tried the paddle fitted in a mates car which had the "Shiftec" switch assembly, it had a much more positive "clicky" action, due to using small magnets to create the "feel" of the paddle and centralise it. In the end, when I could afford it I bought one of these myself and sold my home made one on to Geoff Roberts, since then he's moved on and bought the Shiftec one now, even though he said my home made one worked perfectly, its amazing how much we pay for something that has a nice clicky positive action!

I imagine that geoff still has the home made one available and it will be for sale.
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I made my own one but first had a close look at the geartronics one. The magnets were key in making it feel very nice.
May be worth a call to 'playskool' motorsport as I know they supply a kit http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Ge ... shift.html
Paul Corbin

Post by Paul Corbin »

Thanks Martin, I was looking down the line of something similar with the sprung loaded ball bearing to give it the click feel.

Ive tried finding magnetic switches bit they are mega money. Maybe small magnets are the answer. I guess the magnets centralise the paddle back to the centre position? Rather than pull it towards the switch.

Thanks Rob, I will call them as I've looked on their website but they don't have any photos.
mefmotorsport
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

Yes, the magnets are nothing to do with the switches which are just normal microswitches. The magnets pull the padle back to centre after moving pulling or pushing it. Thats where the positive feel comes from. My spring loaded ball bearings had no clicky feel, just springy!

The geartronics one is the Shiftec one, cost is about £425 + VAT !!
Paul Corbin

Post by Paul Corbin »

mefmotorsport wrote:Yes, the magnets are nothing to do with the switches which are just normal microswitches. The magnets pull the padle back to centre after moving pulling or pushing it. Thats where the positive feel comes from. My spring loaded ball bearings had no clicky feel, just springy!

The geartronics one is the Shiftec one, cost is about £425 + VAT !!
Thanks Martin, I've spoken with Geoff and sorted that and now I'm looking into magnets this evening. That's a mind field in itself, with pull forces etc!

Be nice to make a cheaper pre preg carbon alternative to the others out there!
philnagel
Distributor: AP Racing Engines

Post by philnagel »

This is an interesting thread. I have just spent the last few months trying to come up with a suitable paddle shift switch for use with my S100 whilst I put the pneumatics in my car. I started out with a ford focus volume control, it has good tactile feel but small switchres, then spent ages searching for a suitable one axis joystick, I bought one from RS components and added a paddle to the lever, it turned out too floppy. I finally built my own using honeywell microswitches and two opposing coil springs, limiting their movement to ensure the lever would centre. Looks and feels fine, just waiting for the last pneumatic connector now before trying the system. Next step do design one that I can get machined.