Learning to map

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Daniboy123
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Learning to map

Post by Daniboy123 »

Hi there I've just joined the forum in an attempt to learn as much as I can about mapping my s80 pro ecu before attempting to have a go myself.
The engine is a 2litre 16vg60 vw engine which is built and ready to go into the car once it's out of the bodyshop. After speaking with a lad on club gti who is involved with dta I'll be getting hold of a map that will get me up and running. From there I want to have a go at tweaking things to get it starting from cold and running as well as I can in order to save time on the rolling roade? Are there any good resources that I should be studying? Any advice greatly appreciated.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Learning to map

Post by stevieturbo »

Whilst I havent read any....some of these are bound to be helpful.

And whilst obviously Motec related....their webinars give good info on a lot of topics

https://www.youtube.com/user/MoTeCAustralia/videos

Out of print hence very expensive, but a great all round book

Daniboy123

Post by Daniboy123 »

Thanks for taking the time to put those links up, appreciate it. I'm not expecting to just plug my laptop in and throw a few numbers into the tables and that's it. I know there is a lot of knowledge required before safely being able to tune an engine to its full potential. My plan is to get to grips with everything enough to enable me to get the car to idle, start from cold and cruise safely. Beyond that I'll entrust a professional for the rolling road set up. I'd like to get to a point where half to a full day would be enough for a professional to set everything up properly.
Simon P.
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by Simon P. »

The Greg Banish books are OK. (first on Stevie's list).
But this one is better that the one Stevie listed. I found it had more "usable" info regarding building VE and ignition tables from scratch.

FWIW I have both (and some others) and consider myself an amateur with just enough knowledge to get myself into trouble. :D
Daniboy123

Post by Daniboy123 »

Cheers Simon that's another book added to the Christmas list :)
When setting up the crank trigger wheel and sensor am I right in thinking I set the engine to a position before tdc say 90 degrees for example then align the missing tooth with the sensor at this point and input this figure into the ecu to get started. Once running use a timing light to get an exact measurement from the flywheel and then input that into the ecu?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Here's how to measure the angle accurately:
http://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_files ... sition.pdf
Daniboy123

Post by Daniboy123 »

Great that's nice and simple. Does it matter if the sensor is 300 degrees btdc for example or is this irrelevant to the ecu?.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I understand that its best to have the sensor 90 deg btdc as it can help with starting
Daniboy123

Post by Daniboy123 »

Ok thanks. I guess I can use the teeth on the crank trigger as a guide as to how many degrees I've turned the engine. Only thing I'm not sure about is what markings are on the flywheel with it being a replacement to help me fine tune it with a strobe. I'd best have a look when I get home from work in a week or so. I see there is a handy crankshaft oscilloscope which should help me figure out if I've wired it up correctly.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Daniboy123 wrote:Great that's nice and simple. Does it matter if the sensor is 300 degrees btdc for example or is this irrelevant to the ecu?.
Ideally you want the gap in the crank trigger disc passing the sensor as piston 1 rises to to TDC, so anywhere from 90 to 30 degrees before TDC.
It doesn't usually make a difference with a car engine, but it's best to do it this way.
It's the very light bike engines that it's critical on.