Introduction & air cooled motorbike application

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
skelly
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Introduction & air cooled motorbike application

Post by skelly »

Hi everyone.

I'm new on here so firstly hello.

Now, I'm currently in the process of converting my suzuki katana to fuel injection.
I was toying with the idea of using a microsquirt system but it just seems too disjointed, so it looks like its a DTA S40 for me as I have experience of using DTA products from my time working at QED.
What I would like to know is, has anyone had experience of using an S40 on an air cooled motorcycle using oil temperature to control cold start enrichment and cold running instead of coolant temperature ?
I think everything else should be pretty straightforward.
50mm dia 36-1 trigger wheel with magnetic pickup.
GSX1400 injectors.
Normal air temp sender.
No MAP sensor, just alpha-N.
Any ideas or suggestions ?
Cheers.
Skel.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Introduction & air cooled motorbike application

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yes I used early DTA on an oil cooled GSXR1100 and just used an oil temp as water temp and it worked just fine, just look out for the end of water temp scaling may be exceeded by your real oil temp. oil sensor was in the side of the head, probably best place anyway. Otherwise just like any other engine. I made a crank trigger 36-1 but it was only about 50mm dia, to fit within stock housing, however if I did it again I think I'd make it a 24-1 (or less) as I think the teeth may have been too small for the sensor as I did get a lot of crank errors at times.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

You may have to adjust the warm up slope as oil heats slower and takes more compared to water ie, water will reach 50 deg. in minutes and off cold enrichment whereas oil will be longer to get there but ok without enrichment. Cylinder head would be best placement or maybe use a VW Bug cylinder head temp sensor - saves drilling holes?
skelly

Post by skelly »

Hmm.
Interesting stuff.
Does anyone have a link for a reliable bug temp sender ?
The idea of not drilling holes has a certain appeal as the engine is built up.
Also can anyone shed any light on the S40 being able to run a suzuki katana 1000 rev counter ?
Or would I need a seperate signal generator ?
Cheers.
Skel.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

I've seen a Bosch 026 temp sensor on a head before; looked pressed/threaded into a fitting or something, so I'm assuming that's what it was. Looked the same.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I just adapted a bung in the end of an oilway in the head to take an ordinary temp sensor.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

The air cooled VW guys use a head temperature sensor. It's catered for in the software, and available from VW Speedshop.
skelly

Post by skelly »

Hi.
Righty, I would rather do my cold running enrichment from the cyl head temp rather than oil temp but only if I can find a reliable thermistor that I can bolt to the head or back of the block.
I'm not keen on those under plug thermistors that the VW guys use and having called a couple of them it would appear that all they sell.
Any ideas on resistance or something that would work ?
Cheers.
Skel
PhillipM
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

If you do most of your enrichment on turns/time rather than temp you shouldn't be too bad using the oil temp to do it.