Help needed, frying coils.

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
67 Split Turbo
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Help needed, frying coils.

Post by 67 Split Turbo »

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having on a friend's aircooled VW.
The ecu is an S40 which is part of a VW Speedshop kit he boought 2nd hand, it's running crank trigger, wasted spark ignition using a VAG coil pack. Having fitted the kit, it appeared that the coil was weak & although trying to start, the engine wouldn't quite fire up properly. At times almost sounded as though the ignition timing way out or the plug leads were in the wrong order (which they weren't).

The map is not perfect but I would at least expect it to run, it's from an almost identical spec' engine.

I fitted a new (pattern) coil & it fired up pretty much straight away, i shut it off to change the map, started it up again & it ran for perhaps 15 secs then died... The coil pack had fried, the casing had cracked in 2 & the resin potting had crazed...

I checked the coil on time (2500), I replaced the coil connector & wiring, remade the ground connections & fitted another new coil. In the diagnostics everything was fine, I popped those little LED lamps onto the spark plugs to watch everything work, all great. After a little cranking & farting (as though the leads are wrong) it fired up again, sounded good so I kept it running to warm up a little. This time after maybe 3 mins it backfired & died... No spark from the coil again, dead as a Dodo...

Am I doing something wrong?!? Could the ecu be putting too much current through the coil & killing it? At the moment i'm lost, I've checked all the associated wiring & it's all fine, anything that looked even vaguely suspect has been replaced. I'm now wondering why the kit was for sale in the first place, did the previous owner know there was a fault?

Sorry for such a long post but I'm losing the will with this one, any help or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Help needed, frying coils.

Post by stevieturbo »

It would help if you stated exactly what coilpack you are using. Pictures, part number, something useful.

Most likely though it needs "external amps" checked on general engine settings. But again, without knowing what you're working with, impossible to say.
67 Split Turbo

Post by 67 Split Turbo »

Sorry :oops: , it's a Bora/Golf coil pack 032905106B

Many thanks
Gary
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

That coil has an internal amp ( well the big alloy bit is the amp ) so you should ahve external amps checked in general engine settings

Check this or upload your map.
67 Split Turbo

Post by 67 Split Turbo »

The 'external coil amp' is unchecked in the settings.. Does that mean it's been using 12v instead of 5v or something? I'll get another coil & try again with the new setting.

Thanks so much for your help 8-)
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

The on times are reversed, so you were turning the coils off for 2500us, then back on.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As above, no wiring etc needs altered.

It just means for example...if you had 10s in between cycles.

instead of charging for 2.5ms and resting for 7.5, you were charging for 7.5ms and resting for 2.5

Check the box and you should be sorted.
67 Split Turbo

Post by 67 Split Turbo »

Just to let you know I fitted the new coil, changed settings & it fired straight up.

Thanks again :D