S60 Traction control

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: S60 Traction control

Post by Rob Stevens »

Allan uses only S60 on his own Caterham and uses gear table (ecu reads the gear from the gear pot on the sequential gear box) vs engine rpm to activate traction. Traction uses spark cut only to operate, not ignition retard. You don't get the wet/dry option with the S60 but you get much the same with the dash mounted pot.
Scoobydoo

Post by Scoobydoo »

Got it working well.

It was never the operation of it that was the problem - just the understanding of how it worked that foxed me!
type49
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 48

Post by type49 »

Thanks any pointers on these rotary pots and sensors that are required
I am not too sure what to do with the gearbox pot as mine is just a std rover pg1
bob
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

You can't make it work unless you rig up a load of switches and resistors to tell the ecu the gear you are in, not easy. Or you need to point a hall sensor at the bolts on the crown wheel in the gearbox, or see if there is some sort of speedo drive you could adapt. I have the same issue with my elise.
type49

Post by type49 »

[quote="Rob Stevens" I have the same issue with my elise.[/quote]

please hurry up and sort it rob as I have the same car ( turbocharged elise )
Bollah
Firmware Version: 71

Post by Bollah »

I thought you could enable TC with undriven wheel speed (via abs sensor) and gear ratio (as long as you know what the ratio are) to determine if you have broken traction or not? Well, that's what it looks like looking in the 'Other Map Settings' -> Traction Control -> Enable 'use undriven wheel and gear table'
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yeh, but the ecu needs to know the gear you are in, 2 ways to do this, 1. propshaft speed (or inside gearbox) 2. gear pot on sequential gearbox
You can't use a single driven wheel speed.
Launch control will work fine.
type49

Post by type49 »

rob the pg1 has a gear ring onto the diff , on some versions it drives a cable on others it ( i think ) drives a pulse sensor
the elise uses the drive shaft for its speed input hence we have a spare speed reference
would this do ?
Attachments
my gearbox diff
my gearbox diff
Bollah
Firmware Version: 71

Post by Bollah »

Rob Stevens wrote:Yeh, but the ecu needs to know the gear you are in, 2 ways to do this, 1. propshaft speed (or inside gearbox) 2. gear pot on sequential gearbox
You can't use a single driven wheel speed.
Launch control will work fine.
Oh right. I was on the understanding that if the ECU knew your speed, it would do some calculations on the speed vs rpm, to work out which gear you were and be able to decide if you had broken traction or not.

So LC will work without having a propshaft speed sensor since I don't have a seq. gearbox :)
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

For LC you set the gear you want to use in the software (by setting mm per engine revolution) and it will only work properly in that gear. Just need the un-drivern wheel speed.
That plastic gear drive thing looks interesting, there may be a rover thing that you could adapt to drive a pulse into the S60, it would be mounted externally and probably rotate slowly but I'm sure it could be made to work. I was thinking of pointing a sensor at those diff bolts somehow, but that would need a hole in the casing.
You can't use the elise speed sensor as the ecu would get confused as you went round a corner, any way it's a magnetic type and not compatable, you need hall type.