CAN Data streams and Dash displays

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
EssTee
ECU Model: No ECU

CAN Data streams and Dash displays

Post by EssTee »

Hi,

I'm currently looking at options for a new ECU and Dash display. I think I've settled on the S100Pro - its for a 4cyl turbo engine so I won't use all its functionality immediately but hoping to upgrade to a sequential gearbox later. I'm also leaning towards a Plex SDM-500 dash display/logger.

However, I'm a little confused about what data the ECU can transmit for the Dash/Logger to log. I assumed that the dash/logger would be able to log anything that was on the CAN bus, and I think I've naively assumed that 'everything' in the ECU is on the CAN bus. On the Plex website I found the short list of parameters below they say they can record from the DTA ECU.

RPM
TPS %
MAP bar
AIT deg C
ECT deg C
LAMBDA 1
FUELP bar
OILT deg C
OILP bar
IGN ANGLE
INJ PW ms
GSPEED km/h
CONS l/100km
CONS l/h
SYNC ERRORS (actual crank sensor error count)
SYNC POS (actual cam sensor error count)
CAM POS INLH
AUX 1 DUTY % (shows ANA1 mV)
AUX 2 DUTY % (shows ANA2 mV)
AUX 3 DUTY % (shows ANA3 mV)
AUX 4 DUTY % (shows CAM PWM duty)
BAT volts

I think this list may be out of date slightly, but, is it correct that these are roughly the only parameters that can be sent across CAN from the DTA ECU to the Plex display? Given the number of inputs/outputs on the S100Pro I wouldn't be able to log all the parameters/channels on the ECU? Looking at other ECU manufacturers listed on the Plex website they can send more parameters than the DTA. So is this a DTA limitation (e.g. firmware) or a Plex limitation or some other CAN bus configuration problem? Is there any way around this, as I suspect the same compatibility issues will arise with other ECU/dash combinations.

Just trying to learn a little more about it all before I make a purchase, so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

EssTee
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: CAN Data streams and Dash displays

Post by Alex DTA »

That looks very out of date. Here's a link to the current generic CAN stream:

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_files ... eneric.pdf

Ask them if the list you've posted is correct, I suspect it's just out of date.
If you need a hand, let me know, I speak to them quite regularly.
EssTee

Post by EssTee »

Alex, thanks for the reply.

But are these the only parameters (the updated list) that can be sent across CAN?

For example, if I used the extra inputs of the ECU and added 4x wheel speeds, is it possible to send these across CAN to the dash/logger?

It seems the Plex display is able to read more channels from some other ECU manufacturers. If I used your NT-dash would I have the same limitation?

Thanks.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The Plex can only read what the ecu sends to it on the datastream.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

EssTee wrote:Alex, thanks for the reply.

But are these the only parameters (the updated list) that can be sent across CAN?
Yes, that's all the information the ECU sends.
EssTee wrote:For example, if I used the extra inputs of the ECU and added 4x wheel speeds, is it possible to send these across CAN to the dash/logger?
No, the ECU doesn't send the individual wheel speeds over CAN, just the calculated speed it uses for all the functions.
EssTee wrote:It seems the Plex display is able to read more channels from some other ECU manufacturers. If I used your NT-dash would I have the same limitation?
All the dashboards use a different CAN stream to the one above. This is their spec:
http://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_files ... No%20R.pdf
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Out of interest...why does it transmit so little via CAN ?

The ecu can connect to a laptop via CAN...so presumably there is a way and means of transmitting more data as this would have to receive everything the ecu does ? Likewise the DBW unit connects via CAN ?

So unless there is some sort of hardware limitation, transmitting all the sensor data etc via CAN shouldnt be difficult ?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote:Out of interest...why does it transmit so little via CAN ?

The ecu can connect to a laptop via CAN...so presumably there is a way and means of transmitting more data as this would have to receive everything the ecu does ? Likewise the DBW unit connects via CAN ?

So unless there is some sort of hardware limitation, transmitting all the sensor data etc via CAN shouldnt be difficult ?
Quite simply, that's all that Allan has put on the stream. I've increased it a bit, and have plans to change how it all works. There will be a limit, both on the number of packets that the ECU can transmit, and what the CAN bus can physically handle, but it's not something I've had time to play with.
carsten
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 79.02

Post by carsten »

Hello Alex,

I think the Dash manufacturers does not know that the DTA send a little more informations now.
I use the AIM MXS and AIM don't know about ID 2006,2007.
Maybe you can inform the big Dash manufacturers in future, if you expand the CAN stream?

Thank you and regards
Carsten
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Thanks Carsten, I will do.