S80 on bmw V8

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: S80 on bmw V8

Post by stevieturbo »

As per other threads, whilst it wouldnt be my first choice, you can easily map it TPS vs RPM and then add MAP compensations

So doesnt matter that the existing doesnt use a MAP sensor.

Either way, you'd get an idea of injector pulse widths ( and timing ) at various loads...and WOT will be atmospheric pressure. So again it wont be hard to get a starting point to build a map.

As for who...you'd need to specify where in the country you are..and what country.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

stevieturbo wrote:As per other threads, whilst it wouldnt be my first choice, you can easily map it TPS vs RPM and then add MAP compensations
Still need MAP for barometric comps in vacuum, even if using TPS for load I still use a MAP sensor.

Regarding base map. You can fill the entire timing map with 10 or 15 degrees if you want, and copy the fuel map from another map (even base map from DTASwin) and use a knob box to trim fuel to get it to run very quickly. You could set an analogue input up as a fuel trim and use a pot instead if you don't have a knob box. Sure the map won't be right everywhere but it's amazing how well an engine can run on a really bad tune, especially just to check everything over before the dyno.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
jon1465

Post by jon1465 »

Can anyone recommend a obd reader that will do what's required there's loads of cheap ones for sale.

I am in England not far from Birmingham.

If anyone knows of an s80 or STC for sale let me know as I havnt purchased anything as of yet.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As long as the age of the car you have is OBD compliant then most of the cheap ones should work ok.

And you'll need one of the app's for the phone like Torque.

It would be nice if someone had a program that would populate a pair of tables of timing figures and pulse widths from a datalog....but that's above me although I'm sure not overly complicated to write.
jon1465

Post by jon1465 »

I've now got a cheap tablet of Amazon with torque on will try it on the car today see what info I can gather from it
jsstevo

Post by jsstevo »

Which tablet have you picked up?
jon1465

Post by jon1465 »

Got one of these
BTC Flame UK Quad Core 7" Tablet PC (8GB HDD, Google Android KitKat, HDMI, WIFI, USB, Bluetooth, res:1024x600) - Blue
jon1465

Post by jon1465 »

I've been having a play on Swin and looking at the general engine settings what is the best way to work out the sensor position, firing tooth on startup and the coil per plug angle points?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The oscilloscope feature can do it to some degree...that's Alex's department.

If you can get a visual of the missing tooth and measure the angle or count teeth from that to cyl1 TDC...then you can get a startup angle manually.

Startup tooth I always just leave to 0 or 1 anyway and COP angles are just standard firing angles for a 4 stroke engine and would rarely need changed.

Once running tooth angle will need confirmed with a timing light and adjusted if need be
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

I set it with a timing light, then confirm once running with timing light still. The DTASwin manual outlines how you can see roughly the position by removing spark plugs except cyl1.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |