BMW S1000RR engine on S60

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

BMW S1000RR engine on S60

Post by mefmotorsport »

As per title, does anyone have any info on doing this? crank sensor, trigger wheel etc?

Thanks,

Martin
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: BMW S1000RR engine on S60

Post by Rob Stevens »

I know Alex was looking at this with someone, engine had been on the dyno but didn't make the expected power. Dymo operator said it's because there isn't enough rpm sites! So the owner was probably told to buy another ecu? Also I recall there being cam sensor issued but I'm not sure what.
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Thanks, I'll speak to Alex and see what he knows!

Cheers,

martin
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

I have a base map from one of them that's running. They converted to cable throttle though, so I don't have an STC map yet.

One of them had cam sensor errors, as there was noise on the cam signal. I think that's the one Rob means.
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Thanks Alex,

I see that the map you sent me shows the trigger wheel as 60-2 and flywheel mode 0 and 113 degrees. I was just wondering if that is with the standard trigger wheel, motorcycle engines often have something rather more obscure! if its correct then perfect, I hope so anyway!

The owner has converted this one to a throttle cable and done away with the variable trumpet length system.

It looks like a straightforward job, there is a hall effect throttle pot (in fact a dual one, working in each direction), a magnetic cam sensor and crank sensor, the coils are 1.1ohm so not amplified. The air temp sensor measures 8K ohms at room temperature so maybe have to substitute a Bosch one as I don't think there's one in the list that's so high.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Hi Martin

Yes, standard 60-2. I've obviously sent the first map I did for them, as there was a later one with sequential. They didn't get any further on the mapping though, as it had cam sensor errors.

Pity he's done away with the variable length trumpets, I need to test those. I believe it's just a PWM controlled motor or solenoid, but not seen one so can't confirm.

8k resistance would give around 4.4v, so appears similair to the Honda K20 sensor default. Time for some ice water and a heat gun. :)
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Yes, its some kind of motor but unfortunately they've removed the inside workings, I'll see if the bits are available!
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Yay! its alive!

I've selected the K20 air temp sensor and the ambient air temp looks to be sensible.
Borla
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by Borla »

Sorry to be a bit late joining the party but have only just registered.

Airbox motor on these is a bit tricky. Motor has 3 wires, pin 1 is 0v, pin 3 is 12v and pin 2 is a square wave 'signal' from the main ecu. Square wave changes depending on rpm and electronics inside the airbox motor decides whether trumpets are up or down based shape of square wave it sees. Signal needs to be as below;

Have chatted to Alex on the subject of this, he suggested trying a 200hz pwm output at 80% for the up signal and 43% for the down. The only problem with this is the pwm wouldn't have the required 4v offset up from 0v. We're still working on options for this.

Just as a footnote, a while ago when we were setting an engine up (with the bmw hp race callibration kit ecu) on a rolling road we did one run with the active velocity stacks disconnected (so they were stuck in the up position) result was no loss in top end bhp but did lose chunk of torque at low revs.
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

The owners have removed the insides of the motor so the air horns sit permanently down giving the loner stack length. I havn't heard any results from mapping as yet.