BMW S1000RR engine on S60

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Borla
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: BMW S1000RR engine on S60

Post by Borla »

Having them in the down position will cost top end bhp though, depends what it's being used for I suppose.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

I thought the rule of thumb was short stacks for high rpm power, long stacks for low rpm torque?
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

katana wrote:I thought the rule of thumb was short stacks for high rpm power, long stacks for low rpm torque?

well thats exactly as it is, when the stack is sitting down it makes it longer, when its up its shorter as the air goes in through the gap
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Strange concept - so the stack is separated from the TB intake when its 'up'? Does the TB feature a radius inlet ?..........Would imagine the raised stack and gap pose not the most airflow efficient arrangement.
Borla
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by Borla »

I suppose the gains outweigh the losses, why else would they do it?

You can see the rubber trumpets at the bottom, these are a push fit over the alloy throttle bodies, at the top you can see the upper injectors that fire down at high revs.

(In use they move a darn sight faster than Alex is managing with his screwdiver too).
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

I just heard from the owners that its being mapped today, he came to me for a comms lead as the said mapper didn't have one (so I hope he knows what he's doing!).

I suggested that they try and see whats best with the air horn positions, short or long, might be interesting.

martin
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

'mapper didn't have one (so I hope he knows what he's doing!).'
Oh dear. On an engine with such high expectations this could suck in a lot of time on the dyno £££££ + wear the engine out
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Rob Stevens wrote:'mapper didn't have one (so I hope he knows what he's doing!).'
Oh dear. On an engine with such high expectations this could suck in a lot of time on the dyno £££££ + wear the engine out
Yes, quite worrying! I did suggest they took it to Wayne at Chipwizards but its too low to the ground for his rollers.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

To be fair...I've seen people with rolling roads, lots of leads and they've been complete fucktards who've destroyed lots of engines !!!!

So the fact one person doesnt have a lead...but could have lots of ability/experience with tuning in general, wouldnt overly concern me.

If course this could be any combination of the aforementioned lol
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

No, to be fair we have to respect his experience, they told me this guy has previous experience of DTA and especially tuning motorbike engines.