Honda B series distributor

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Rich.B
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Honda B series distributor

Post by Rich.B »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make a S40 Pro ecu work with the original Honda B series distributor?

Thanks.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Honda B series distributor

Post by Rob Stevens »

I'm gusing it only has this and no crank sensor? I went through the same with a polo engine that had no crank sensor. With the software as it is you can't simply use just a distributer. I did think that you might install a new trigger in the distributer something like a 36-1 you could get the engine running but the displayed rpm would be 1/2 reality. If you can't fit the crank sensor there are few options with the DTA.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

There seems to be a couple of variants.

one with 24 main teeth the other with 16.

then there are additional triggers with ether 4 teeth or a single tooth as far as I recall.

I guess the 24 teeth one could work, stating that it actually had only 12 teeth per 360 revolution ? and then the single tooth for the phase ID ?

if it's 16 teeth....cant think how it might work as DTA seems to want 12 teeth or more for a single 360 revolution.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

As standard, no. The two B series signals are 24 teeth per cam revolution (12 per crank rev), and a second single pulse per cam rev.

The S40 can't use that, as there's no cam input.

You would have to modify the crank output, and remove two opposing teeth. Or weld up two holes if that's how it's done.
Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

I guess fitting a external trigger wheel is best solution then
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

I've considered doing the same for a Toyota 4AGE, removing 2 opposite teeth so I can use an S40, effectively giving 12-1 trigger pattern. Which will work fine.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Rich.B wrote:I guess fitting a external trigger wheel is best solution then

A crank based trigger will always be better than a dizzy based trigger anyway