Help with reading S40 ECU please

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
ArtVandelay
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Help with reading S40 ECU please

Post by ArtVandelay »

Hi everyone, just signed up to the forum as I'm in need of some help with my ecu and this looks like the place to come!

I have a S40 pro Ecu running an engine from a Volvo S40/V40 T4. I'm having some real trouble with the performance with fuel pressure being one of the issues.
I was wondering If anyone on here has the technology and know-how to read what's on my ecu.
I have no idea how to do that myself even if I had the data on my laptop screen I wouldn't know what I was really looking at. So just looking for answers to some simple questions like:

1. Does the ecu have a map on it at all?
2. Does the data or map on the ecu look even remotely like it should to run an engine?

Not looking for tuning it as such, just to see if it could be causing the problems. In which case I would hopefully go from there with mapping it correctly. If it looks ok then I've got to look elsewhere.

Thanks for reading this and would appreciate any comments, whether you can help your self or know someone or a company that can. I'm based in Somerset but unfortunately can't move the car, so happy to cover any travel expenses.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Help with reading S40 ECU please

Post by stevieturbo »

If the engine runs...it must have some map on it.

They did do some videos guides, not sure if any will cover very basic use...but it is an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN0pe5 ... f89GIF8XKw

There is of course the users manual

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_files ... Manual.pdf

BUT....you mention a fuel pressure issue. Fuel pressure is in no way controlled by the ecu or it's mapping, other than the fact it will turn the pump on when it sees the crankshaft turning.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

As stated by stevie, fuel pressure is controlled mechanically, by your fuel pump and regulator. The ECU only turns the pump on, os if you measure voltage to the fuel pump and it's staying on and at battery/charging voltage, then the problem is likely with the regulator, fuel filter, or fuel lines.

You can purchase a cable which goes from the 15pin connector on the S40 to RS232 serial, which you can then use to connect your laptop (these days using a USB-serial cable) with the software which is available free on the DTAfast website.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Yes, but the OP wouldn't know what he was looking at of for as he stated above. If its a fuel pressure problem then investigate the pump, FPR and injectors first - if they all check out i'd suggest finding a dyno tuner close to you with experience in DTA's and book it in for a once over!
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

Hi thanks everyone for the replies.

I was misunderstood about the ecu controlling the pump. I thought the ecu would tell the pump to send more or less fuel to the engine when required. So could have had enough data in there to start it and run, but not to supply enough fuel under acceleration.

So is the pump just on or off then? And the amount of fuel controlled elsewhere?

I have fitted new fuel lines, fuel regulator and pump which didn't solve the problem. I suppose the regulator could be defective again which would be pretty bad luck, hence trying to find out if the ecu/map is at fault before spending more money on replacing fuel system bits again.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Has it ever run properly?
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

Nope not yet.

Starts fine, will stall when cold but once its warmed up it will tick over. I'm told hits is because stand alone ecu's are hard to map to run like a production car, so are set up only to run well at normal temperature.

It revs fine on the spot, throughout whole rev range, seems like good throttle response.

But when driving it feels ok up to about 3000 rpm, then seems like 90% of the power disappears, and it splutters or misfires up to about 5k or just over, and all of a sudden shoots off again. That's with pedal to the floor.

If you're really light on the throttle pedal it will drive through whole rev range ok.

I assume its because this is when the turbo comes on boost, so it needs a sudden lot of extra fuel which its not getting for whatever reason.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ok, well you need to get to a rolling road then with someone who understands DTA, no point in looking for a fault if its never run properly, even more so if its a turbo, I think there is a chap called Sandy Brown in the West country that knows his stuff, but sorry don't have contact, if you ask DTA they may be able to suggest someone.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

The ECU can be made to control start up and idle as well as any OEM ECU, it just takes a bit of time, and knowing what to do.

Have a look at the dealers tab on the website, there's a list of dealers on there. You can then speak to a few close to you.

Sandy is not answering his phone until May. :lol: :lol:
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

Its been to 2 different rolling road places already with no luck. So thought I would try to find another way of working out what's wrong, before spending out a load more money sending it to yet another place, or at leas a recommendation of someone who could actually diagnose it.
Ill have a search for Sandy Brown and see where they are and if they can help.

Thanks