Help with reading S40 ECU please

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
ArtVandelay
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Re: Help with reading S40 ECU please

Post by ArtVandelay »

Ah, just seen the last reply.
Will have a look on the DTA site for someone then.
Thanks
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Unfortunately with your lack of knowledge (not meant in a derogatory way) on-line diagnosis is problematic. If you could connect to the ECU via the serial port, you could post up the whole stored maps which may show the problem immediately. What you describe is classic weak fueling so fuel map needs more fuel from mid range up + correct any other problems and address the cold start issues. I despise tuning companies that offer a service and obviously have no experience with the ECU fitted - as the problem persists and would have been likely blatantly obvious to someone half skilled and they've taken your money!
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

Don't worry I'm fully aware of my shortcomings in knowledge so no offence taken there.

So in your opinion, would it be worth buying the cable to be able to get a screenshot of the data on there to post, and hopefully that would make sense to someone and they would see any obvious problems?

I cant imagine the cable is that expensive, and I see DTA have software on their website. Is that all I would need?

My experience with tuning companies is not going well. There's so many companies around where its all well and good taking in a normal car with no problems, and getting a few extra bhp. But mine is built from scratch and doesn't work, so "normal" garages wont touch it and tuning companies cant just "tune" it.

Thanks for your help.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

If you're going to try and give map details, upload the map, screenshots are usually a total waste of time.

but yes the cables are not expensive, but you will need a suitable laptop and ideally one with a serial DB9 connector...failing that you will also need a USB-serial adaptor.

And if you do go online with the ecu...first and foremost before doing anything at all....save the map and keep it safe before attempting to change anything.

And perhaps if you also listed more detail on the vehicle...and who/what/why those who looked at it before could not get anywhere with it ?

And equally why after being to 2 such places would you think the fuel pump was an issue ?

And why have you changed lines/pump etc ??

Is the engine standard ? who wired it up ? Who initially tried to get it to run etc etc etc ?

History and as much detail as possible is all important when trying to diagnose remotely.
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

OK here goes:

Its a kit car running S40/V40 T4 engine. The engine was brought bare from a car being broken, which I was told had been tuned but don't know what was involved. But it was fitted to my car as a blank engine with brand new bespoke wiring loom and new DTA ecu, so whatever upgrades it had before probably don't count.

Fuel system is as follows

Tank
Inline filter
Walbro 255 pump
AN6 fuel line to filter
Fuel rail with new injectors (cant remember model right now, but possibly Siemens/Deka)
AEM Motorsport adjustable regulator AN6 inlet and outlet
Return line to tank

The first company just said you have fuel pressure issues, its running lean. You need to fix that before we can rolling road it. Take it back and see if you can replace what's broken. They also said fuel lines were just rubber hose not fuel hose so needed changing. So I decided change regulator and fit new lines with braided fuel hose. So changed every hose (ruling out blockage somewhere) Changed FSE regulator to AEM one, and added AN6 fittings to rail.

Didn't run any better.

Second place it went to (few months down the line) - they had it a day and the fuel pump failed, and it wouldn't even start (despite being fine before I took it in). So had to replace that. Same fuelling issues and looked at it for few days, they couldn't really find the problem and one of the hose fittings came off so they decided to stop work on it in fear of anything else failing.

Now its back home again in the same state it has been for months.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Perhaps if you fitted a fuel pressure gauge this would help your own understanding of the system. Sounds like you have taken the car to some unhelpful places.
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

I have fitted a fuel pressure gauge to set it up at just over 3 bar.
But its a gauge that screws directly into the port on the regulator, so impossible to see when driving.
I have toyed with the idea of fixing a camera in the engine bay and trying to record it but not got round to trying it yet.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

your pressure regulator should also have a small pipe connected to the inlet manifold. There also needs to be an engine boost pressure sensor somewhere.
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

Ah ok, I know I have the tube coming from the inlet manifold to the regulator. That's the vacuum hose isn't it? That goes off to other places, that's a small innovate plastic housing that I've no idea what it does, and it goes from that to the air intake hose just behind the induction air filter. All seems to be connected in a circuit.

I don't know if I have a boost pressure sensor, I do have a turbo boost gauge in the dash so may be able to trace the wiring back from that to the engine and see if I can see a sensor.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

So a company who own a rolling road...could not diagnose and repair said items ? where they asked to repair ?

The mind boggles.

As a starting point...in no particular order