BMW S1000rr on S80, refining base map.

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Borla
ECU Model: S80 Pro

BMW S1000rr on S80, refining base map.

Post by Borla »

We've had this project in mind for a while now, have finally gotten round to doing it. Spec is stock engine internals, but with a thinner headgasket to up the compression a bit. Akro copy exhaust without cat, stock airbox retaining the active velocity stacks.

Alex supplied a base map which started the bike, we now need to fine tune the base map to save time at the dyno. The base map has batch firing injectors and COPs which were set in 2 cycle mode. I thought I'd post a few questions here to save bothering Alex too much in the office.

So here goes then;

Twin injectors, what are the pros and cons of using the blend map over an rpm switch? Assuming each set of injectors has enough flow capacity, I was thinking of switching the from the lower injectors to the uppers at mid revs to give the fuel more mix time with the air before it enters the cylinders. Good idea or something left to the dyno?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: BMW S1000rr on S80, refining base map.

Post by Rob Stevens »

May as well use the blend map, something like this.
Attachments
Doc1.docx
(246.28 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

If you can afford the dyno time, do the testing to see what the engine likes best.

If not, dont worry too much about it. Decide what load you want each set of injectors to take at any given time and he happy with it
Borla

Post by Borla »

I guess you're right, so long as we can get close to the 198wbhp that we had on the BMW ecu, whether it's sequential or batched fired matters not :-)

Just want to get as much of the non fuelling and ignition parameters set before we hit the dyno.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

You need to interrogate the OEM system and find out what it does, and when it does it then.

At least that will give you some sort of starting point
mark220475
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 74

Post by mark220475 »

Hello could I ask why you're not using the standard BMW ECU, if you're only looking to get standard BHP levels?
I only ask as the BMW ECU is fully adjustable.
Borla

Post by Borla »

mark220475 wrote:Hello could I ask why you're not using the standard BMW ECU, if you're only looking to get standard BHP levels?
We wanted to get shot of the fly by wire throttle.
mark220475 wrote:I only ask as the BMW ECU is fully adjustable.
The 'standard' ecu is pretty much locked up, in the early days we did try getting one remapped, but it never ran right. The BMW Race Kit ecu is adjustable but with regard to fuelling and timing the adjustment is only small amount either side of stock. We have used the kit ecu, even with it there were big chunks of the fuel map where the mixture was way too rich due to not enough adjustment available.