S40 installation, help on the basics

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
cnicholl214
ECU Model: S40 Pro

S40 installation, help on the basics

Post by cnicholl214 »

Hi there,

im installing a DTA S40 system onto my BMW 4 cylinder M44 318IS Engine,
ive just a few minor queries that i wanted to get cleared up....

1/ im using a 36-1 crank trigger wheel and the std ford 2 pin sensor, what way do i need to time the wheel, ie, does it need to be at 90 degrees to the missing tooth? or is there an exact ignition timing figure i should be setting it to?

2/ on the ford 4 pin wasted spark coil i have, according to the dta manual pin 1 is coil1, pin 2, coil2, pin 3 12V but it says "NC" for pin 4? does this mean no connection?

any help would be greatly appreciated,

Chris
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: S40 installation, help on the basics

Post by stevieturbo »

ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

1/ Angle is set in the software, so wherever is convenient pretty much.

2/ NC is no connection.

The manual does have a wealth of information, which hopefully you've read. If not, I recommend going through it a couple of times.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

1. yeh set the trigger wheel so that the gap is 90 deg BTDC on cylinder 1. You will never get it 100% right so that's why you need to check with a timing light once its running. I get confused with wasted spark doubling the reading on a strobe light, so I get the ecu to fire at 0 deg BTDC, you then need to tweek the crank sensor position setting in 'general engine settings' so the timing light displays true TDC on your crank pulley.
2. yeh as others have said NC = not used, this is probably some sort of misfire detection.