Anybody used MSD ignition with DTA?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
rjwooll
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: Lotusbits
Firmware Version: 75

Anybody used MSD ignition with DTA?

Post by rjwooll »

One of the things I'm considering (to boost low end torque on my engine) is fitting an MSD unit between the DTA box and the coilpack - I assume that's where it fits. Apparently MSD (stands for multi-spark discharge) can improve power below about 3000 rpm by firing multiple sparks and ensuring more complete combustion of the mixture, delivering extra power and reducing exhaust losses. It also provides a longer duration spark above 3000 rpm and is supposed to improve starting.

Does anybody have any experience of these units? The model I'm looking at is the MSD Digital 6A Ignition Control. See https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... ns/street/ for more info.

Thanks, Richard
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Anybody used MSD ignition with DTA?

Post by Rob Stevens »

I have no personal experience of MSD but I thought it was very closely related to snake oil? You can already alter the dwell times to help with cold starting should you need it and I cant see its going to help low end torque.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Save your money.

If you want more torque, add boost ! lol ( or engine capacity I guess )
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

They're made for carburetor fed engines, where they can ignite your rubbish mixture for the reason stated. I've seen DTA fire methanol with a bike pencil coil and also with a Mondeo coil. I agree, spend your money elsewhere, fi you need CDI due to fuel/boost requirements then there are better options these days than CDI like IGN1A.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

As all the others have said, save your money.
rjwooll
Distributor: Lotusbits
Firmware Version: 75

Post by rjwooll »

Thanks guys, I'll save my money. Reason I was looking is that David Vizard makes quite a big thing about the incompleteness of combustion at lower revs, but as you say this probably relates more to carb fed vehicles. I guess the latest coilpacks and plugs now do a much better job anyway.
welshpug

Post by welshpug »

plugs and coils havent changed much, injection sysyems have.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

coils have changed a fair bit over the years.

20 years ago you wouldnt have had a standard OEM coil handling 40psi boost.

Today, many can

And even beyond that, all these silly CDI systems are pretty much defunct with the simple coils that are available.